Book 2⌇3. Target Acquired: Lord Blaise

Chapter 3 ∣ Target Acquired:  Lord Blaise

-Evicka 

"They're not ready," Killian sits on the brown couch in the living room with his feet kicked up. He has this look, criticizing me for how soon they'll genuinely come face to face with their own enemies.

I'm sitting sideways in my comfy cushion black chair, my legs hanging over the side of the armrest. I tilt my head to the side, watching Killian intently and reply with the same reassurance, "I know."

"I don't like that you have decided to go on your own," he eyes meet with mine.

I see the worry in reflecting off his features, as I have seen every single day since my mother was taken from me. He's worried something is going to happen to me, but if I don't act soon, I'll become too comfortable and forget the past.

I can't forget. I won't forgive.

I often find myself longing for the merciless killing of the one who took my mother away. I also long for the day I may find my father...and question why he didn't care enough to keep me with him. As far as I know, he's an ass who didn't care, even though Killian reminds me all the time that he did it out of 'love.'

What type of love tears families apart?

"I have to, you know that," I reply, taking a section of my white hair and braiding it absentmindedly while we talk.

"I'm coming with you then," Killian decides for himself while he sits up, swinging his legs until his feet meet the ground.

I arch a brow while asking, "You are, are you? I don't think so. Only having one vampire to defend my hunters is not enough. Besides, once I kill Blaise, we are going to be on the move from that point forward."

"Evie...you can't go by yourself...it's not safe!" Killian stands up, walking over to my chair just to look down at me.

I tilt my head up, meeting his eyes before replying sternly, "It'll never be safe, and there are times it is better not to risk the lives of others."

"You've never met, let alone, fought another pureblood before," Killian continues, crouching down beside me, my eyes following his, "they are vicious...and they have all been around a lot longer than you have. Blaise will rip you apart."

"I'm not a little girl anymore, you can't always be there for me," I whisper. Killian shakes his head and sighs at my retort. He stands up as I swing my feet around and sit upright in the chair. Our eyes lock, and I continue, "Stop getting in my way."

Killian angrily questions, "Getting in your way? Are you serious?!"

"Dead serious...you may see it as protecting," I glower at him, placing both hands on the arms of the chair and pushing myself up, "I see it as you are standing in the line of my target...every single time."

"Fine," Killian snaps back, turning on his heels and heading down the hallway to the training room.

I wrap my arms around myself, the pain of calling him out and casting him aside is hard. Killian has been the only one to stand by my side, protect me, and watch me grow. But, if I ever want to become stronger, or find my mother and father, I must stop relying on other people and start counting on myself.

"What do you want?" I can hear his heart beating.

Zak comes into view, dressed in dark blue jeans and a plain white T-shirt. His demeanor seems to have altered slightly. I don't feel the hatred emanating from him as I had just yesterday.

Has he finally learned he could trust us?

"I wanted to speak with you," Zak's voice is on edge.