Book 2⌇1. The Auction

Chapter 1 ∣  The Auction

~Year~2231 

-Evicka

"Evie!" I snap up from my bed to see my mother standing near my door, "They're here. You need to come with me, NOW!"

My mother's white irises glower like two iridescent orbs, her shoulder-blade length brown hair is pulled back into a tight ponytail. She is wearing her hunter's garb, tight black leather pants, knee-high ebony boots, and it appears like she has just recently thrown on her under tank-top.

"Mom..." my voice trails off as I reach for my clothes.

"No, Evie," My mother strides into the room and grasps my upper arm, pulling me out the door and down the hallway, "we don't have time sweetheart."

I am still in my purple and black silk PJ's as we hit the top landing of the staircase. Killian is looming next to the bookcase, his jet-black hair coming to his chin on one side and shaved close to the skin on the other. My mother hands me off to him, his green irises flashing to a bloody red.

"Hide her," My mother orders as I attempt to pull away from Killian.

"Mom!" She stops for a moment and turns around, kneeling to my height. She smiles at me as she folds a strand of my winter white hair behind my ear.

"Evie," she speaks in a low tone, "it will be alright," she then glances up toward Killian and continues, "you will be safe with Killian."

"But," I start shaking, "the vampires..."

"Sweetheart, don't worry," my mother hushes me and pulls me into a warm embrace. My mother then pulls me back at arm's length and gazes deeply into my eyes as I investigate hers, "I will find you."

"Mom!" I scream as she rises to her feet, making her way to the front door of the house with several other hunters. Killian pulls back a book and the bookcase slides open, revealing a titanium safe room with soundproof walls.

"Evie, come on," Killian is trying to wrestle me into the room, the strength I have for such a young age reflecting my heritage as a pureblood vampire.

"Bu-" Killian cuts me off, dragging me into the room. I watch past his waist as my mother grips a silver dagger in her right hand. She slices open the palm of her hand, and I am awestruck as the blood trickles around her body, little streams weaving their way around her.

Instantly, the bookcase seals shut. I glare angrily up at Killian and growl, "Why don't you help her!"

"That is not my fight," Killian narrows his emerald eyes at me while continuing with, "that is not your fight. The rogue vampires are after you and your mother."

"But, why?!" I slam my fist against his stomach, and a small groan leaves his lips.

"When you are older, you will understand," he smirks and states, "your mother gave you orders, and she expects you to follow them."

"I know that," I roll my eyes sarcastically and huff as I fold my arms in front of my chest.

We can't hear anything, and neither can anyone from the outside. My mother had said, should the rogues' attack, to continue training and killing vampires and the purebloods that reign over them.

I'm a walking hypocrite.

I stomp over to the other side of the room, kicking the wall.

"You have a temper, just like your father," Killian chuckles while marveling at me.

My mother and I were taken away to a safe house when I was two. I don't remember my father. No one would say anything about him unless it was about something I did.