Chapter 17

Chapter 17

DANIEL

"Here!" I shoved the camera in Jay's hands. He staggered backwards for a moment, stunned. They guys were all quiet and looking at me like I had suddenly grown a second head. I glowered at the floor, while he looked through the videos.

"There's nothing in here?" he said confused. I looked up at him, my face expression hard. I was determined to end this right now. No more playing the game and destroying my relationship with Kari even more.

"Exactly. I'm done Jay." Everyone in the room became quiet. Not even Rider who talked the most out of all of us said a word as I began walking away.

"Are you sure?" Jay said silently. I didn't dare turn around to look at him. I just nodded my head up and down.

"If you leave the game now Daniel, this means you'll lose the game. You won't be first anymore." He said softly behind me. A warning was in his tone of voice.

"That's a risk I'm willing to take." And with that I walked away from the crowded café and into the sunshine. The sidewalks were full of people rushing to places. But I stood out, with my back hunched over and hands in my pockets. I let my brown hair swing in front of my eyes to cover the hurt written all over my face. I started walking towards the park. The leaves were starting to turn into a beautiful red color and falling into piles under the trees. I shivered slightly in the cool wind as it whipped across the trees and bushes. There in the distance I could see a couple sitting in a bench cuddling and looking like they belonged together. I shut my eyes and licked my cracked lips. The girl with brown hair reminded me so much of Kari; with her curls and the slope of her shoulders. The way she batted her eyelashes when she looked up.  

Now she was looking at me. Her green eyes widened and a look of surprise, then guilt and hurt crossed her beautiful features. That's when I realized it had been Kari in the arms of Josh.

I took one step back then another until I managed to back away far enough. I ran towards Fiza's house and rang her doorbell over and over until she finally yanked open the door in surprise.

"Dang! Daniel you're going to break my doorbell." She said and opened up the door wider to let me in. I stepped in and hugged her. She tensed up but then relaxed into my arms.

"I love you Fiza, thanks for being there. But you and me need to stop fake dating." I backed away and looked into her eyes. She looked taken back and I plead her to understand.

"But what about prom?" she asked looking down and fidgeting with her hands.

"We can still go to prom just as friends." I said. She looked up with a hopeful smile and jumped into my arms giggling.

"Thank you Daniel." She grabbed my hand and took me upstairs into her room. I sat on the edge of her perfectly made bed and watched as she looked through her closet. She came out holding a dark garment bag. I watched with anticipation as she slowly unzipped the bag and took out a lovely dark red dress. It flowed like water down to the floor. Under the lights it sparkled like a thousand diamonds.

"Do you like it?" she asked hesitantly, biting her lip making her look vulnerable and for once in my life I saw what every other guy saw. She was beautiful in every way but just...not for me.

"It's beautiful just like you Fiza." The comment slipped from my mouth and I realized Fiza was looking at me with a blush in her cheeks.

"Thanks Daniel..." she whispered than retreated back into her closet to put it away. I sighed in relief that she didn't take the comment in the wrong way.

When she came back out, I was already up and ready to leave her room.

"Where are you going?" she asked looking sad.

"I have to make things right with Kari." I whispered.

"I know, go." She whispered. There was sadness in her eyes that I have never seen before, even her voice sounded sad. Like it was broken, she looked broken. I took one last look at her before walking out of her room.

"I love you..." she said suddenly but softly. I paused in my footsteps and turned around to look back, but she was already closing the door. Somehow I knew she didn't mean it the way I did.

Back outside I made my way to the flower shop near Fiza's home. I picked out a dozen roses and one yellow rose. After I paid for them I made my way to her house again. I quickly scribbled on a note: Thank you Fiza<3. Then I quickly placed it with the yellow rose on her doorstep and walked away. Soon I found myself standing near the bench where I last saw Kari sitting. The memory of her long hair sweeping up into the air and soon I was making a run to her house. My lungs burning with each breath I took. Ten minutes later I was standing on her doorstep, my heart beating erotically and my palms sweating so much. The roses where behind my back as I rang her doorbell. The moments it took her to get to the door made me feel like I time was moving in slow motion. When she swept open the door, I couldn't help but catch my breath at the sight of her. Her hair was up in a comfortable bun, a cup of juice in her hand as she took me in. I bet I looked stupid with the red roses in my hands, holding them out for her. She blinked a couple times before hesitantly stepping out.

"Hey." I said and she reached for the roses.

"I hope you don't think that with a few simple roses that I would forgive you." She said.

"I know, but this is just my way of saying I'm sorry. I just wanted you to know that I stopped playing that stupid game for real this time."

"Look Daniel I appreciate you coming here and apologizing but it's not going to change my mind about you..." she looked at the ground and I placed a finger under her chin and tipped her head upward. Her green eyes looked up at me, so I leaned in and kissed her forehead, softly and gently. My lips lingered for a couple seconds but then I broke away and began walking backwards into the darkening skies. Leaving her speechless and I with a determined will to get her to trust me.