Chapter 8

•Chapter 8•

KARI

"I hate you mom" I muttered as she squezzed me into a too tight dress.

"Oh don't be such a baby, you've known him since childhood. You guys use to take baths together when you were little." she said rolling her eyes and sticking pins at the side of me. Avery giggled beside me and I glared. She looked at me then looked away quickly. Ugh, like I needed to be reminded by my mother who I use to take showers naked with before. I know I use to be friends with Josh but as we grew up well, let's just say he got really really geeky. So you see why I wouldn't be so "excited" for this arranged date. Not only does he wear coke bottle glasses but he also reeked of cheap perfume even though he was rich and could afford expensive stuff. He dresses like his mom dressed him (although I bet his mom did) maybe it isn't entirely his fault. Although it has been years since I last saw him. I sighed and stood there anoyed as my mom poked and proded with her pearl pins and needels. The stupid dress she was making me wear was a light brown dress with a ruffled skirt and a satin duchess bow at the center of the breastline. The back had silk strings criss crossing until it dipped in a low "V" way down my back. The dress was only knee lenght which only made it look cooler. I would never admit that outloud to my mom right now.

Stupid mom.

I frowned and pouted the whole time my mom made me stand.

"Okay all done." she said clapping her hands and standng up straighter. I made a total frowny face at her and she grimaced.

"Okay stop it with that face missy." she said scolding me. I relaxed my face and stood emotionless.

"Well it's an improvement." my mother said and sighed. I turned to the mirror and admired the fine lines of linen and lace. My mouth twitched but I stopped myself from smiling.

"Look I spoke to his mother and she said he's a real cutie now."

Yeah right, I bet this was his mothers idea in the first place. He probably couldn't even get his own girlfriend. I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. Avery stood next to me and smiled brightly. I glared and looked away haughtily.

"Whens the date?" I grumbled. My mother stopped pacing the room in a frantic search for something. Her green eyes not meeting mine and looking away nervously.

"Uh-tonight." she whispered.

"WHAT?!" I screeched. My mother cringed and recoiled back a bit.

"Well I thought it be best to just get it over with." she said and started to grab a small diamond pin. She dragged me to a chair and pushed me down roughly. My butt made a squeeky noise on the leather seat, I watched as she started working on my hair, curling my hair and making them look like Lucious waves. She pinned the sparkly brooch on the side pinning my fringe. I did not dare look at the mirror, she started applying makeup and blush. I stayed silently brooding about the unfairness of my situation. I mean seriously? She could have asked for my consent first! I felt a tug at my head and soon enough I was facing the mirror. I looked beautiful, I stared at myself in awe.

"Wow mom..." I whispered, softly touching the gentle waves falling down my shoulders, the small brooch glittering in the light.

"I know" she said smilng down at me.

"You know it's really a shame that I have to waist such a dress for Josh!" I said with a displeased tone at the end.

"Kari!" my mom yelled.

"What? It's true." I said and started walking towards the door, carefull not to slip and trip like last time.

"look Kari you better be nice to that young boy." she said as I walked outthe door with Avery.