Part 14

What’s Going On?

Okay...this is strange. It’s been a month since school started and things have changed between me and Jay. He’s become so distant.

We sit next to each other in class and everything, but we don’t talk. It’s starting to get to me. No, that’s a lie. It already has got to me! He doesn’t answer his phone as often, and when we do talk, it’s for like a few seconds then he says that he has to go.

Maybe it’s the divorce...

I still don’t understand, though. He’s been hanging out with his other friends, playing sport and acting like his usual self. He hasn’t been acting like his usual self around me.

He doesn’t wait for me in class, or at the bus stop. We still sit next to each other in the bus, but it’s not the same. I might as well be invisible because he doesn’t acknowledge my presence.

I have noticed something, though. He’s started hanging out with that Larissa chick. A lot.

It first started with him showing her where her classes are, but then it became more than that. She’s started sitting with us in the cafeteria. Jay made the football and basketball teams. I knew he would. Larissa is part of the cheerleading squad. I am too.

The cheerleading squad and the basketball team have their practices at the same time.

Before all this nonsense started Jay and I would walk to my or his house after practice and do our homework together

That doesn’t happen anymore. Now, by the time I’ve come out of the locker-room, he’s gone off with Larissa.

I’ve heard rumours that the two of them are dating. They can’t be true, though.

He would’ve told me. We tell each other everything.

When it comes to relationships, he tells me before he asks the girl out. I’m sure that those rumours are exactly what they are. Rumours.

What if they aren’t?

Gosh, this is crazy. What have I done?

Why isn’t Jay talking to me?

I’ve thought about the past few weeks. I haven’t done anything to upset him.

Well, the times that he actually acknowledges my existence. I can’t handle this type of emotional pressure. I’ve spoken to Trisha about it. She says that I should confront him. I don’t know why I’ve been hesitating to do that. Whenever I have an issue with Jay, I confront him about it and we sort it out right there and then.

Now, I’m starting to wonder if I should.

I mean, this is a new situation. Jay’s never given me the sub-zero shoulder like this. He’s never given me the sub-zero shoulder, period.

Argh, I sound so pathetic right now!

This is stupid. This whole situation is stupid.

Why is Jay acting like this? I’m so confused.

Jay is the closest friend I have. I tell him everything. I haven’t had a decent conversation with him in weeks.

I thought girls are the ones who give each other the silent treatment for no particular reason.

No, this isn’t even the silent treatment. This is...something else.

It’s like he’s distancing himself from me. For what reason? I don’t know.

That’s it. Trisha’s right.

I need to confront Jay about this situation. It’s ridiculous. This whole thing.

I pick up my phone and dial Jay’s number.

“Hello?” he answers.

Oh please! Don’t act like you don’t know who this is.

“Jay?” I say. “It’s Jamie.”

“Oh, hey,” he says.

“We need to talk,” I reply.

“I’m listening,” he says, sighing.

“Not over the phone,” I say. “I’m coming over.”

“Okay,” he says.

This is what our conversations have been like for the past few weeks.

“Bye,” I say, ending the call.

I put my shoes on and walk out of my room.

I leave the house and start walking to Jay’s house.

My heart is beating in my neck. I don’t know why I’m so nervous.

I have a feeling this isn’t going to go well...

If I lose Jay as a friend... I don’t know what I’ll do.

I really don’t know.