Part 3

Home, Not So Sweet Home

I arrive home. I sigh and look at the house. I really don’t feel like using the front door. Everyone will hear me and I’ll be forced to sit in the lounge with Ami. I’ll use the kitchen door. No one will hear me and I’ll be able to get to my room unnoticed. By the time everyone realizes I’m home, I’ll be fast asleep! I enter the kitchen quietly, closing the door gently. It’s dark in here. I better not turn the light on; just in case someone comes in when I go upstairs. I tiptoe through the kitchen and pause for a few seconds. I can hear voices coming from the lounge. Suddenly, I bump into the kitchen table and a bunch of cutlery falls off. I guess I didn’t notice it whilst I was eavesdropping. I put my head in my hands and groan. There is no way all this noise was not heard.

“Oh! That must be Jamie!” I hear Demi say.

“Jamie!” she calls. “Jamie, come and greet your sister and our guest.”

I freeze. Did she just say the word ‘guest’? That must mean...

“Jamie!” Demi calls for a second time. “Where is that girl?”

I sigh, resigned, and walk towards the lounge. I enter and look around.

Trisha is sitting on one of the bean-bags. She’s reading a tabloid magazine. Demi is sitting on the single couch with her legs crossed; she’s holding a glass of wine in her hand. Sitting on the double couch are Ami and ... Lance. Great. I look at my twin.

She hasn’t changed much. Her highlighted blonde hair is shining in the light and her now green eyes are trying to avoid meeting mine. She must’ve taken off her contacts.

“Hey Demi. Hey Trisha,” I greet. I turn and look at Ami and Lance. I roll my eyes and sit down next to Trisha. Demi purses her lips and holds her glass firmly.

“Jamie,” she says tightly. “Could you please greet your sister and Lance?”

“I don’t talk to backstabbers,” I reply curtly.

Ami starts to blush severely and Lance is shuffling around in his chair uncomfortably. Coward. Demi is holding her glass so tight, if she squeezes it one more time she’ll crush it. Trisha is smiling but she’s hiding it behind her magazine. She puts her magazine down and gives me a warm hug.

“You are one calm sister!” she whispers in my ear.

I smile slightly. At least I have somebody on my side.

The tension in the room is so thick; Ami and Lance keep shifting in their seats. Demi’s taking short, agitated sips of her wine. I’m enjoying the awkward silence. I can feel the guilt radiating off of Lance and Ami. The silence is broken by the shrill ringing of the phone. I jump up and head for the hallway. Saved by the bell! I pick up the receiver and say,

“Bansen Residence, home of torture and betrayal how may I help you?” (I can hear Demi cursing from the lounge).

“Hello? Jamie? It’s me, Jay.”

I sigh with relief. Jay is my lifesaver!

“Hi! Thank goodness you called!” I say.

“How’s it going?” he asks.

I groan dramatically. Jay laughs and says,

“Is it that bad?”

“No one’s talking,” I reply. “It’s so tense in there. I find it hilarious.”

“Jamie! Tell whoever is on the phone that they should call later!” Demi shouts, interrupting our conversation.

Honestly, she can be a right pain in the bottom sometimes! I sigh loudly, making sure that Demi hears me.