Chapter seven-The last letter

Now what would I do?

I tried calling Rèmy's name in a sharp whisper but everytime I tried fear washed over me.

I calmed myself down, trying to listen to the waves.

At first I couldn't hear them properly and I panicked.

I looked behind me but I could see nothing further than the small bush that I was standing in.

Again I tried to calm myself down, and decided to make my way in the direction where the waves came from.

With each step I made I could hear the crash of the waves become louder, the sound of the water being sucked back in, as if the moon used a straw to drink the ocean, and the crash again of the waves pounding down upon the sand.

Eventually I was out of the jungle but the shack was nowhere to be seen.

I had found myself in a different part of the beach, to which, when I observed the left part of it, I spotted small lights coming from a tiny town.

There it was! I thought happily, realising that since that was the town, the shack must be nearby on the beach.

I ran hurriedly towards the left side of the shore for about five minutes until I found my home.

Fear left me quickly as I rapped on the door twice and entered without saying hello.

Laurette was sitting up on her bed, and Rèmy was talking to her.

I was furious.

'How could you leave me?!' I shouted.

He looked up at me, and told me to keep calm.

'How can I keep calm?' I asked frustrated, 'I could have been attacked by...whatever that animal was!'

'No,' chorted Rèmy, 'Frantz's body was already a diversion for us. It had already eaten him by then.'

He had a point, but to leave me like that alone in the dead of night was not right in any way.

I told him that, but he just shook his head and continued talking to his mother.

I sat down on an old, splintered chair and listened.

'So you feel much better now to walk?' Rémy asked Laurette with glowing eyes.

'Yes, son', replied his mother, 'all thanks to our friend here.' She looked at me.

Rèmy turned and gave me a small smile, then continued chatting with her.

I felt grateful for Laurette's thankfulness, but Rèmy didn't seem very appreciative on my help for her.

'Is there a problem, Rémy?' I asked.

'No, there's no problem,' he replied sarcastically, 'none whatsoever.'

He was a strange boy, Rèmy. He blew hot and then cold, friendly and then demanding, good-humoured but then utterly boring.

Nonetheless I forgave him, and asked him if he had a problem with me, again.

'I said there was no problem,' Rèmy answered glaring at me, 'I didn't feel comfortable with you looking after my mum. All these medicines and such, they worked anyway.'

I felt offended. 'If you're not happy,' I said, standing up, 'then my time here is done. I'll just leave.'

I left the shack and slammed the door, and Rèmy didn't even seem to notice me.

I stormed to the beach where the waves that illuminated the moon thundered upon each other. Tears had to escape me, and no matter how hard I tried to fight them back, one after the other slipped off of my nose.