Chapter five-The next part of my destiny

We continued walking throughout the town until we came to an abandoned shack.

 It was relatively near to the beach, although just the last part of the actual city.

 Rémy led me into the shack where a sickly woman lay on a stack of straw.

 There were two candles lit in the corners of the squalid cabin, even if the outside light had already been sufficient enough to use to see.

 'Mum?' he called quietly as we stepped in and shut the door.

 Rémy's mother did not respond with words, instead she gave an uncomfortable groan.

 'Shhh, I'm back now don't worry,' he assured as he sat next to her and felt her head.

 'Did you get-'she spluttered, coughed then continued, 'did you get the money?'.

  Rémy shook his head sadly. 'I was stopped by the guards. I was going to be shot but my new friend, Zander here, saved me.'

 His mother turned around slowly, and looked at me piercingly.

 'Where are you from?' she choked, saliva dripping onto the hay next to her.

 'England, but I live in America,' I said nervously.

 She nodded approvingly, then turned to her son. 'What are we going to do then?' she asked miserably.

 'No money, no food. You know how the hold adage goes.'

 'I know, mother,' Rémy answered, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'

 What? I thought angrily. I'd saved his life after he'd attempted to steal from the bank and now he wants to try again?

 'That's a good boy,' the sickly woman replied, 'but what will I eat tonight? I'm so ill.'

 'I know you're ill, mother, but maybe its best if I was to work? That way we would never go completely hungry.'

 I wasn't understanding everything, but with a few words and gestures I got the message.

 His mother looked at him angrily. 'You know very-'she coughed and spat something horrible out onto the floor, and continued, 'Rémy, I've told you too many times that I don't want you working now!'

 'Why not?' he answered angrily.

 'I thought you'd already know since we've discussed this more than five times, son.'

 Tears filled up in Rémy's eyes. 'But, it'd be so much better for both of us.'

 'Who's going to look after me while you work?' his mother questioned sadly, her bottom lip trembling.

 There was a pause.

 'Zander,' he replied.

 My mouth dropped. I was shocked.

 'Zander?' she asked, 'who is that?'.

 Rémy replied quickly so I did not get most of it, however from the way he said it I presumed it was something like: 'we just told you a minute ago!'.

 'My friend, here is Zander,' he gestured towards me.

 She glared at me, then apologized for forgetting so suddenly.

 'No, its ok,' I said.

 'He'll look after you while I look for a job.'

 'What?' I said, frustrated by the sudden decision. I'd only just met Rémy, let alone his sick mother.