Chapter six-Future Secrets

'How did you escape?' Janjak asked agressively, and pushing me deeper into the jungle.

 The gun he was holding against my temple was very uncomfortable, and I would have done anything to make him stop.

 'Didn't Leon tell you?' I answered back.

 'He told us, he did indeed,' Janjak smirked, 'at his funeral.'

 I felt limp. I only ever wanted to defend myself and hurt Leon purposefully to escape but never kill him. Now the training camp people wanted me for sure. And wanted me badly.

 'I had to defend myself, but I never really wanted to kill him!' I said guiltily.

 'Of course not, you bastard,' Janjak replied slyly, 'but Leon wasn't the only one to leave us.'

 What did he mean? He grinned at me evilly and I suddenly had an awful feeling. Was it one of the orphans?

 'Who?' I asked coldly.

 'He was trying to do exactly the same as you,' Janjak explained cruelly, 'attempting to escape. But we caught him at the very last minute before he set just one foot off of our grounds. He payed the price: went to soitary confinement and died of staravtion after we 'forgot' about him'.

 'Who is it?!' I said again, worried sick now.

 A pause was the last thing I needed, but then he finally said the name, 'Johnathan'.

 I fell on my knees and wretched. How could this happen? Why did he try to escape when he knew that he wasn't big enough to stand up to the world?

 Janjak grabbed me by the shoulders and led me further away into the jungle.

 Still crying and sobbing, I asked where I was being taken.

 'Back to the camps,' he said, 'to die like the rest.'

 I couldn't take much more. What? After my mother had died, things went terribly. I was taken to an orphanage which was heavily breached by evil war fighters, the orphans were kidnapped and taken to the hostile island of Haiti and now I was doomed to die like the others. Close to despair, I took a deep breath, fought back my tears and remembered that everyone put on the earth was destined to do something, surely my life wasn't really over just yet. Or had I already done what I was born for?

 Whatever happened, I was NOT going back to the camps, so I was going to try with all my mind and wit to escape once more.

*

For about fifteen minutes of hard treading we made a brief stop by a small river, which Janjak used to quench his thirst.

He put the pistol away from my right temple and placed it on the ground, put his hands in the fresh water and washed his face followed by slurping sounds from the water that he selfishly drank.

I watched him, thirstily glaring at the purifying liquid which ran over the pockets of beautifully shaped stones.

He turned to face me, and noticed the beads of hot, salty sweat breaking out upon my forehead.

Janjak sniggered, and slowly slurped down the water that chased particle to particle, flowing from stone to rock, rushing over the pockets of pure granite pebbles.

'Drink some,' he offered, gesturing towards the river.

I didn't think he was serious, but he remained there with his hands by the water and, still reluctant, I stepped by the bay and knelt.

'It's delicious,' he said, cupping his hard hands into the stream and bringing the fluid to his lips.

When he finished, I started mine. The water was so fresh and cleansing, but I enjoyed the feeling for ever so little.