Chapter one-Anna's Beguiling

On our way back to London, my mother had grown weary.

As a matter of fact, she had become weaker after my birth.

Despite the fact that the flight was quite tranquile and unturbulent, she vomited for days after I arrived.

In London, she was greeted with rather sad news: her mother, my grandmother Lucile, had passed away.

This had also led to my mother's health deteriorating. Mother always described that Lucile was a gentle woman with 'green fingers'-due to the fact that whenever she'd planted something, it had never failed to grow. At age eighty-seven she was diagnosed with lung cancer, and it eventually became so strong that she lost her battle five years later.

We lived for some years in a small, one-bedroom apartment in the north of London. When I was four my mother got a promotion in her Agency work, which caused us to move to a flat a little more to the south of the city. It was one of the best things that had ever happened to her, nevermind myself. We ate more healthily, we had less troubles for debts and she could buy more clothes for us.

After a few months, she managed to buy a house to the even more southern part of London, thanks to her talent of speaking French and Greek fluently, along with small parts of others that helped the company to communicate with other companies better.

When I turned five, my mother sent me to the school down the street from us. I found it a bit difficult to socialize in my class because I was a bit more knowledgeable than the others, exceeding in French and the English language because I was such a bookworm.

At lunchtime I would go to the school library and pick out the first big book I saw, whether it was written by really old authors such as Charles Dickens to the latest new writers such as Ned Sand, I didn't care. As a six year old I would write my own little stories, reading through the thesaurus and using different words and synchronizing them into my mind.

When I reached eight years old, my mother got promoted again to an even higher status in her work, and this time it really changed our lives. The new agency work that she would do was in Monroe County, Florida in America. Thrilled by the offer, my mother accepted and we rebuilt our lives in the vast new world. This, however, did not change me in any way. I still loved to study. At this age, I spoke almost like the teachers did, using a wide range of words in my vocabulary when communicating and explaining myself very well. I was moved up a year by the time I had reached nine.

However, that was when things in the world became dangerous. Seventy years before 2120, the heat in central Africa had suddenly reached to sixty-seven degrees, killing thousands of inhabitants within just two days. Not only in central Africa, though, had the sun caused a calamity of heat. In South America the daily temperature had reached up to fifty-nine degrees, so much hotter than it was before. In Russia, one of the coldest places on earth, the typical 'minus' temperature had exceeded to a daily twenty-six degrees, and now has reached further than thirty-three.

In Europe, with England and Ireland included, the temperature had surpassed its normal heat boundaries, like a thirty-five degrees to a now, roasting forty-four. Notwithstanding the fact that many had naturally grown accustomed to this typical summer heat, some have unfortunately perished from heat exhaustion.

The Commonwealth have discussed these matters for a long time, such as on how to prevent it and how to lower the raging heat that is expected to reach up to a furious sixty-nine degrees in America within ten years. The Head of today's Commonwealth is Queen Elizabeth III° of England.

My mother knew the dangers that were coming to America, however she did not decide to move again. Many were escaping to Antartica, the bottom of the world where once existed an iceland. It now has become a warm continent to live in, with cities already built and a different economy, such as the money being the Thawrouble, and the main language, now officially Russian.