Chapter three-Expect the unexpected

A week later, I woke up with a boom! in the corridor.

Children screamed, the carers panicked, gunshots fired everywhere.

Shakily, I got up from my bed. There was hardly anyone else in the room.

One boy in the middle section of the room cowered under the sheets.

I walked towards him, and shook him a little.

'GO AWAY!! GO AWAY! GO AWAY! HELP!' he yelled.

'Shhhhhhhhhhh,' I assured, 'no one's going to hurt you. Come out from the bed, and I'll help you escape.'

'Please! Leave me alone!', he commanded more calmer now.

I would of listened to him but I couldn't just leave him there, knowing that the room could be invaded any second.

'Listen, I will leave you only if you just follow me! It isn't safe to stay here. It's too dangerous.'

Nervously, he pulled off the sheets and clinged onto me.

'Ok, ok,' he said, still shaking.

Guns fired again outside. The people who invaded were shouting commandments at everyone in a language that I didn't understand properly. Orphans wailed in distress.

'Come on,' I said to the boy. His name, if I can remember, was Johnathan,

the youngest of the group.

I picked him up and held him tightly, then I ran to the bathroom at the end of the corridor and locked the door. I switched off the light and took us into the last cubicle of the bathroom and locked that door as well.

'Now listen,' I said, as he started crying, 'you mustn't leave just yet. We have to escape somehow but it won't be easy. There are dangerous people outside who can kill you or me, so be careful. I'll go outside and see if its clear to leave. Stay here in the meantime, ok?'.

He nodded warily.

I quietly unlocked the cubicle door, tip-toed to the main bathroom dorr and unlocked it and crept back into the room. The gunshots outside had stopped. Everything was quiet. The building was eerie. Something wasn't right.

I jogged to the door and peeped through the key-hole. There was nobody there, or at least I couldn't see anybody.

Ever so carefully, I pulled open the door and looked outside.

There was blood spattered on the walls. Brandy lay dead on the floor, with five big holes in her chest that gushed blood.

There was nobody there, though. No matter how much I wanted to leave the room I just couldn't bring myself to step outside; too shocked on the bloody sight of St. Theresa's proprietor.

I stepped back in and closed the door.

On my way back into the cubicle I found John lying on the floor, face white as the snow that falls on the mountains in winter.

'Johnathan!' I cried quietly.

I shook him a bit, and he opened his eyes.

'Are you ok?'.

'What does it look like, newbie? I'm scared to death about those people. What if they come in here and kill us?!' he exclaimed weakly.

'No. They won't kill us, because they've taken the others away. They want to kidnap us, but we have a chance to escape.'

'CHANCE? CHANCE?' he shouted angrily, 'You think we have a chance to get out of this shit?'

'Just stay calm, ok?' I assured, 'We're gonna make it, I'll make sure. You won't die. You are not meant to.'