Chapter 24: Terrible

~Harry's POV~

I felt terrible.

Even when I was thirsty and cramping, I still ran. The only time I stopped was when I passed a small lake and quickly changed my clothes, dumping my old outfit into the water tied to rocks so that it would all sink. I changed into a plain grey T-shirt and cargo shorts but after that, I kept running. I couldnt keep running east and I didnt want to go west, so instead I ran up north. I made sure from the sun and ran through back streets and old neighborhoods, trying not to catch attention; but I had no choice. This was the only time I considered running acceptable, when you knew the feds were on your ass, so i did what i could. I ran out of that town, but soon it was just flat empty land. At this point, my mouth tasted like blood and I could hardly breath right, so I slowed down at a steady walk. I had to get out of the area and quick, and I couldnt make any human interaction, not for a while, everyone will be notified im around and I know they'll keep an eye out, especially for strangers. So I was on my own for a while.

I had water, thankfully, and seven dollars now, but there didnt seem to be civilization around and that was problematic, so I would just have to keep walking until something came up. I kept my sunglasses and hat on and held my breath no one would ask questions each time a car passed by; which wasnt often. Early morning turned into afternoon and it felt humid, my curls were probably bunched up and frizzy now although they were still mostly hidden under my cap. Afternoon turned to evening and I was almost surprised no patrol cars had massed by yet in search of me. I told myself that if I didnt see another towns lights by the time it got completely dark, i'd stop and rest. That's unfortunately what it came to and I found myself walking a few yards away from the road and using my cap as a pillow to curl up on the ground. Sleep didnt come easy at all and I awoke again in a couple of hours because of my nightmares. I woke up sweating, the humidity didnt help at all, and after that I just couldnt get to sleep. So I picked my limp self up and staggered farther down the road for a couple hours. My feet felt swollen and sore, so I slipped my shoes off and sat at the edge for a moment, letting them rest. It was morning already.

By early afternoon and I had started walking again, although I wasnt even sure if I was really  taking steps, I dragged my feet and barely made an attempt at moving. I was tired and my legs were out of shape. The only thing that got me going was the fact I saw a farm house in the distance way off of the road in the middle of a bunch of crops, I thought I might as well check it out. It was locked shut and there was a small house behind it, there was no car though, so I got up the courage to walk up to it. Still, no one seemed to be home, I didnt want to harm these people or steal their things, I just wanted to know how long it was until the next town, but i didnt even have that much luck. I went back to the farm house and heard a few noises from with in, maybe horses, I dont know, but it got me curious. I searched the whole area again until I found a few tools on the outside of it, but all I needed was a nail. With it, I picked the lock.

It looked bigger inside then it did outside and there were in fact horse stables in there. It felt nice to be in the shade for once in the middle of this humid day and I considered staying here, but that was a dumb idea. I still walked around, not wanting to leave the coolness of the shade and stumbled upon a gift. There were two motorcycles there and the keys were still in the ignition, it was too good to be true. I glanced behind my shoulder and just outside of the door, as if I would get caught. I had to consider the consequences. The feds are going to be looking for stolen items to get a lead on me, so if this is reported they would know which way I was headed. But that would also depend on when they noticed it gone, maybe they hardly ever use it and wont know until another week...but that was doubtful since the key was kept in the ignition. I wanted to take it badly, but the cops would find out and figure to look for me here. Unless i changed my direction...I cant keep heading north because thats where ive been heading and theyd start that way, I cant go south because thats where they'll be coming from. I didnt want to go west and they already knew I was heading east. I wouldnt know how to throw them off.