Chapter 2: Home Again

~Hazel's POV~

I felt like I was home again.

Although I was surprised to see a lot of the houses abandoned. There were only about five that were actually inhabited out of the ten large houses that were built on the island. Luke, one of the guards, told me this when I arrived, he was the one who greeted me at the pier. I was happy to see Luke, he had been working here since I could remember, he was like an old friend. We had passed the inmates while they were having their rest period. They were all pushing up the fence and yelling to try and get my attention, I had gotten used to it though, its something the prisoners have always done as long as I lived here.

Luke took me to the watch towers to say hi to the other guards that I had known since I lived here. They all greeted me and welcomed me back. It was Collin, one of the younger guards that I hadn't known as well, that asked why I came back.

"Um well, I just sort of...decided to take a-a break from school." I told them.

A few of them chuckled at me, "Please, you couldn't take a break from schooling before, what made you change your mind now?" Daniel spoke up.

I laughed nervously. I guess I might as well tell them, they were all like fathers to me, they deserved to know, "Alright then fine...I was kicked out and I needed a place to stay."

They howled in laughter, "Nuh-uh! What did you do?" Collin asked again.

"I sort of showed up to an important exam...drunk." I said looking down.

They laughed even harder at me, "Your joking!" Luke insisted.

I laughed nervously again, "No, no I'm not." I was embarrassed at what I had done, but I was actually enlightened by their reaction. They were all like that older uncle that could never take anything seriously, I loved them all for it.

"What about your folks?" Shane, another old friend, asked.

I chuckled nervously again, "They don't know anything of it, they didn't know I was on my way and they don't know I'm here now." I told them all.

They all exchanged glances and shuffled restlessly, "You should have told me, I can go take you to where your father is." Luke told me.

"Alright, that sounds good." I told him.

"Good luck." They all said at the same time.

"Thanks." I said giving them a half-hearted smile.

Luke lead me through a different path then I was used to, they had changed a few things, the Wardens office was no longer at the lip of the island, they were tearing that down and replacing it with another watch tower. I saw few inmates working on it, Luke took me through a path so that they wouldn't see me again, which I was grateful for. After passing the construction site, we came up behind the other houses that were actually being lived in.

"Why did they all move to this side?" I asked Luke.

"Oh, its just the shore line, its gettin' worn away by the waves and all." He told me.

"You mean erosion?" I asked him.

"Yea sorta."

I nodded my head and kept following him. We passed by the Wardens house, the largest one there, and I wanted to rush in to my old, familiar house that I had lived in since I could remember. But Luke told me it would be better if we first went and told my father, and my mother who would most likely be there with him helping him. I agreed and followed him to my fathers new office. I got more nervous as we neared the building, my hands were getting sweaty and I could feel my luggage feel as if it were getting heavier.