Chapter 3: Hate Working

~Hazel's POV~

I absolutely hate working.

Especially while I'm doing this. When my father told me I would start in three days I thought he meant I had three days to rest before getting to work. But instead he had me start getting prepared on those three days and the fourth day I would actually be talking with the inmates.

So for the first day he showed me my office, it was in the same building as the actual cell house. It was in the entrance right next to the business office near the front. My father told me it used to be the clerks office but that that was being moved over to the new building on the other side of the island. He left the desk and an office chair there but removed every thing else. I told him I would need another chair for my patients, he just rolled his eyes and said there would be one. The next step was explaining the rules to me.

I was to dress professionally and be in on time every morning at 6am. My services would be open to everyone who wanted talk to a therapist, unless that inmate lost certain privileges, but I couldn't refuse my services to anyone. The inmates would be escorted by guards, so I could not let them out of the room without a guard. They would be in hand cuffs through out the entire session, unless they were one of the older inmates who had been here longer and with good behaviour had earned their privileges. Each session would last thirty minuets to an hour, depending on the inmates schedule and my own. If the inmates mentioned anything about breaking the rules, causing harm to themselves or to one another I was to report it immediately. I would also be able to choose my own patients, which were inmates I thought needed help and who would have to come by force. My father also showed me around some of the new buildings and how things had shifted. By the time he finished it was late afternoon and he sent me back home for the rest of the day.

On the second day, it was announced that there would be a prison psychologist and that anyone who wanted to change their daily activities to speak with me could do so. I had to be in my office most of the day to wait and see who would volunteer. In the meantime I looked through some of cell block A's inmates' profiles to look for alternative patients but no one caught my eye so far. After getting bored of being stuck in my office I went outside for a while despite what my father said about not leaving. Passing by my house just a little ways away from the new watch tower construction site, I relaxed a bit. I stayed far enough away so that none of them could really see me but I could see them. I saw Daniel and Luke telling them to work faster as they trudged around in enormous rain coats and worn out hard hats. I scanned the work sight looking at the poor idiots who ended up here.

I was about to walk away and head to another part of the island, when something caught my eye. There was an inmate standing way off to the side, he was staring out at the currents that were splashing up against the island. I studied him a bit longer, he just stood there looking out, every once in a while he would rub his chin or scratch his head but other than that he didn't move. I wondered what he was thinking about. Suddenly I heard Daniel yell out 'styles' loud enough that made me turn my head. I was confused for a second as to why he would shout out such a random word, but then I saw the same inmate turn his head back. It must have been his name. The same guy looked at the currents one more time, then smiled to himself.

But he didn't go back to work just yet, as he turned around he looked in my direction and flashed me a big toothy grin, waved like an idiot, then turned around all together with the rest of the crowd and continued working. I chuckled to myself, what a poor fool. Although I found it incredibly interesting that he would do that. Did he know I was standing here the whole time even though he was looking out into the water? Normally as soon as one of the inmates spotted me they tried talking to me, or they checked me out, but no, this one only ignored me. He must have been thinking about something from the way he was constantly touching his face. Rubbing your chin and scratching your head are manipulators, it means your hiding something. Plus there was an intense look on his face, most inmates would just go with the motions and had either a scowled or blank face. But this one looked like he was actually thinking about something. I lingered only a few more seconds before heading back.