Chapter Five

“You must have written it down somewhere!”  Shannon grunted with annoyance as he rummaged through the boxes and drawers that Jared had once been, he grabbed handfuls of pieces of paper and threw them over his head so they landed in a heap behind him. Both Shannon and Tomo sat on the paper covered floor and Jared sat uncomfortably on his bottom bunk. Tomo rolled his eyes as he sorted the paper out and handed each piece to Jared one by one hoping to get a positive response, yet each piece had the same answer, “...No...”.

Shannon punched the drawers making Jared jump up and hit his head on the top bunk.

“Shannon!” Tomo spoke surprised, “Calm down!”

“I am calm!” Shannon raised his voice through gritted teeth, it was obvious he wasn’t.

“You don’t sound it.” Tomo replied. Shannon turned round and stared at Tomo and Tomo stared back.

They were silent.

In the background Jared sat holding his bashed head. He had gained a small headache but nobody had noticed that he smacked his head as he did not make a sound.  He didn’t make a sound as he was scared that Shannon would shout at him, he could see the anger in his eyes. He bit tightly on his lip so he wouldn’t shout out yet he did not notice that blood was slowly dripping from a cut that had formed where he hit his head. He closed his eyes so he did not see Tomo roll his eyes once more and turn round to talk to him.

Tomo saw the blood.

“Jared!” Jared opened his eyes, “You’re bleeding!”

Jared froze, just then he felt the warm liquid run down the side of his face.

“Wait there!” Tomo spoke franticly as he ran out the room, he returned seconds later with a damp cloth. Jared raised a shaky hand to touch his wound yet Tomo stopped him, “Don’t touch!” he spoke alarmed.

He sat himself next to Jared as he delicately wiped the blood from his face, the material of the cloth soon turned a pinkie colour.

“What did you do?”  Tomo asked as he continued to wipe his face.

“I hit my head...that’s all...” he spoke in a whisper. Shannon punched the drawers again but luckily Jared restrained himself from hitting his head again.

“Shannon! Calm down!” Tomo repeated himself.

“I am!” Shannon shouted, “God!” Shannon clenched his fists with frustration, Tomo glared at him as Jared sat silently. Feeling uncomfortable again he looked down at the floor, he noticed his necklace dangling from his neck, the silver triangle like shape stood out as he held it with two fingers and spun it slowly, it made him feel less uncomfortable. But that was when Shannon shouted at him.

“Would you leave that bloody necklace alone!”

His words hit him hard, Jared paused, and he looked like he was going to cry. Noticing this Tomo went to open his mouth to protest but Jared did it for him.

Suddenly Jared stood up, sudden anger appeared as he shouted,

“This isn’t a bloody necklace! It’s the Triad necklace!”

Silence. Jared went pale, he hadn’t been that angry since the accident yet when Shannon said what he said all he could feel was anger, like he had just said something about someone close or even his family. Now he was scared, scared that Shannon would fight back. He gulped.

“What did you just say?”

Jared was surprised as the voice he heard was not his brother’s, he turned round to meet Tomo. “What did you just say?” his friend repeated.