Chapter 21

Sorry about the long wait- I've lived with uneventful days which equals to zero to no inspiration :L

“Gran? Is there any mail?” I called as I shut the front door behind me, I looked around for Gran but didn’t see her until I looked out the kitchen window and saw her in the garden near one of the rose bushes. “Gran, any mail?” I repeated and stood halfway out the back door.

  Gran looked up and stretched to one side, “No Alis, not today.” She muttered and I could have sworn I heard her back crack from where I was standing which was at least thirty feet from her.

 I nodded and headed back inside, I walked to my room and looked around it. I had a lot of packing, my clothes were strewn over the end of my bed and I had a million pairs of converse under my bed as well as ten million different chargers by the wall.

I grabbed all of my scattered clothes and started folding them and stuffing them into my suitcase that had been stashed under my bed, I shoved all of the chargers in there and a million other random objects I had brought. I hadn’t noticed when Gran stood at my door and watched me pack my things, when I did though I could tell she was sad to see me go, even if my hard-ass Gran wasn’t going to say so- she would.

I went to bed early after a roast dinner that Gran had been cooking all afternoon. I looked around my dark room, it felt so naked without the piles of clothes and shoes, they only took up a single corner in my suitcase now. I was going to miss LA so much… I ended up hating the silence and jumped up to open my window so I could smell the salt from the ocean and hear it in the distance… It was calming.

To my dismay Gran woke me up early, reminding me I had the morning bus to catch back to Oregon- reminding me that I was going to have to spend hours alone in a freaking bus.

    “Do you have your toothbrush?” Gran checked.

   “Yes. I have all of my toiletries.” I nodded as Gran checked off her mental list.

   “What about… Your letters from Landon? That’s something you’ll want to keep forever.”

   “Yeah…” I nodded again and smiled sweetly at Gran.

   “We are leaving in two minutes! Get on the bus!” The bus driver shouted at everyone at the stop, great, hours with a cranky bus driver too…

    “I love you Gran, I’ll visit soon and hopefully bring Landon.” I mumbled before bending down and hugging her. Gran hugged me back.

    “I love you too Alis, you’d better come soon and if Landon comes make sure you bring that dog- it sounds interesting.” Gran laughed and I straightened up. I actually felt teary, I felt so bad to leave my Gran in LA alone… It was a harsh and scary city, not somewhere for an old lady who didn’t know karate.

   “One minute!” The driver screamed and I sighed before giving my Gran one last smile.

  “Bye…” I waved and turned to haul my luggage onto the bus, I got to my seat quickly and waved to Gran out the window, she looked so tiny next to the bus. Exactly one minute later the bus was driving away and I watched as my Gran disappeared from my view and then I had a bloody long trip ahead of me.

Oregon hadn’t changed even in the slightest- I could have sworn I was looking at the same sight that I’d said goodbye to a few weeks ago. Everything was so still, it seemed to quiet compared to rowdy LA.

I didn’t smile as I drove past all of the familiar scenery that I’d thought I’d missed, when the bus stopped I groaned and grabbed my luggage before stepping off and sitting at the bus stop. Apparently mom would pick me up, I wasn’t excited to see her, I was actually wishing I could just walk home and not have to spend the five minute drive with her.

I waited for ten minutes before my car pulled up with mom driving, I tried to hide the peeved and sad feelings in me and I grabbed my stuff, I shoved it into the back of my car without a word before sitting in the passenger seat. I showed every sign of still being pissed at her and she knew it, so she didn’t even try to talk.

 I watched all of the streets go by and when I saw Landon’s street I resisted the urge to jump out the window and lasted the whole silent drive to my place- it hadn’t changed either. When the car stopped mom turned to me.

   “Are you going to keep ignoring me?” She questioned.

   “I’m not ignoring you. You have made no attempt to talk to me.” I muttered and opened my door, I opened the back door and grabbed my stuff out before slamming it and walking to my house. “Hi dad.” I muttered as I passed him at the steps and then I climbed them to my room. Ignore her? I didn’t ignore people even if I was really pissed, no, she ignored- she ignored Landon, she ignored every issue of mine and always had.

I actually wanted to be back in LA right now. I missed Gran already… Far out, I felt like such a brat! Even though my mom deserved this, she was trying to change me, blame things on me and keep me away from the person who I knew was my best friend as well as boy friend. I wanted to leave my room and just tell my mom that I was going to see Landon but I knew now that she’d have a hell of a lot to say about it seem as how I didn’t give her a cheery “Hey mom!” when she picked me up.

 I had been in my room for almost an hour when my dad knocked on my door, “Hey Alis… So how did my mom treat you?” He wondered, I felt like saying ‘better than my own.’

   “She was awesome, I think I’ll go and see her next vacation.” I shrugged and played with my teddy.

  “Cool… Your mom wants to know why you are being ignorant?” He shrugged and my eyes flickered to his face with a frown. “Don’t give me that look Alis, your mom wanted me to ask.”

   “I’m not ignorant but I am still angry at her, I always will be now too.” I muttered, I knew dad was going to ask why so I continued. “She can’t just end me away because she thinks it’ll make me change, I am who I am and she should bloody well deal with that. So what if I change my hair and get my first boyfriend? I’m not getting drunk, going to parties or letting my grades slip.”

  I could have sworn dad looked impressed by my little defiant speech, “I know what you are talking about Alis… I guess you just have to put up with her trying to make you perfect.” Dad shrugged and gave me a short smile before leaving my room. I guess I at least had him on my side…

I sat quietly for a few minutes before I heard someone knock at our front door, I frowned to myself and jumped up before poking my head out my window in time to see my door open and Landon standing at my front step!

   “Hi Mrs Blue, I was wondering if Alis is home yet?” Landon wondered and didn’t seem fazed by my evil mother who hardly acknowledged his existence.

   “No-” Mom started and then I was yelling.

    “Yes I am! I’ll be down in a minute!” I yelled out the window and Landon looked up before smiling, I laughed and winked at him before ducking back in and running my hand through my hair. I grabbed my Polaroid camera and my satchel before racing downstairs.

Mom grabbed my arm before I reached the door, “You inly just got home Alis.” She hissed and I stared.

   “Come on, just let her go… It might put her in a better mood.” Dad mumbled and took mom’s hand from my arm, I felt so happy to have him right now. Mom sighed and I smiled briefly at dad before stepping out next to Landon.

    “I’ll be back in a few hours.” I called and tugged Landon away, we only got as far as my front fence before he stopped and put his arms around me. I smiled up at Landon, “I am so glad you came…”

    “So am I… I guess you haven’t made up with your mom yet?” He guessed and kissed me.

   “Nope, I hold grudges.” I smiled and kissed him back.