Chapter Twenty-Seven

RPOV:

“It was like...something or someone took over my mind,” I whispered, shuddering.

Dimitri and Alberta peered down at me with concern. We were currently sitting in Alberta’s office. Outside, the sun shone bright, indicating how late it was.

Alberta gave Dimitri a meaningful look. He sighed in defeat.

“What?” I asked.

“Rose...” Alberta trailed off, looking uncomfortable. She sighed. “We really should have done this the minute you came into the school.” she shook her head.

“What? Done what? Dimitri?” I looked at him questioningly.

He simply looked away guiltily.

“Counseling,” Alberta finally said.

“I-what?” I gave her a look that clearly said, Are you facking insane?

Alberta sighed again. “It’s clearly all the pressure getting to you, Rose. We’re not blaming you, believe us. We just think it would be best if you talked to a counselor. With everything going on, it’s no wonder that you’re-” Alberta cut herself off.

“Driving myself insane?” I supplied, glaring.

“No, Rose. I just - please, do this,” Dimitri said, begging me with his eyes. “You scared me, Roza. If counseling is what it take for me to never see you attempt suicide again, then so be it.”

I stared at him with pain. He didn’t believe me. “Dimitri, it wasn’t me,” I insisted.

He hesitated. “I believe you,” he finally said. I could tell he was being honest. “But I would rather have you in counseling and safe than dealing with the....other students.” A distasteful look appeared on his face and the truth behind why he really wanted me in counseling was revealed.

He knew that I wouldn’t talk and be belligerent about it. He didn’t care about that. He just wanted me to be away from all the words and safe in an adult's office. He was afraid for me.

My face softened as I realised all of this. I sighed. “Alright. How often and how long?” I inquired.

“Every day and instead of your field experience,” Alberta said promptly.

I sighed. “And I also want you to move back in with Dimitri, in the cabin,” Alberta tacked on.

I grinned. At least one good thing came out of all of this. “When am I moving?”

“Right now,” Dimitri said. “In fact, you can have the day off tomorrow, since you’ll be tired.”

I sighed again, but nodded. “And the appointment?” It was hard to believe only two weeks had passed since the last appointment.

“We’re going to it, of course.” Dimitri smiled at me, his eyes bright.

I exhaled with relief. “Well, that’s not so bad, then,” I mused, standing up.

“I mean it, Rose.,” Alberta warned. “You better show up to every single one of those meetings.”

I sighed with exasperation. “Like Dimitri would let me ditch them,” I said ruefully.

“Good,” Alberta nodded.

________________________________________________________

Moving back in with Dimitri was a cakewalk. All that was really need was my toiletries and pjs, although I would end up wearing Dimitri’s shirt to bed anyway.