Chapter Fifteen

Disclaimer: I don’t own Vampire Academy, Richelle Mead does.

RPOV:

The next morning, I skipped all the way to practice, eager to show Dimitri my good news. When I got to the gym, it was closed and dark. I stepped in, wondering if Dimitri was going to jump out and scare me. No, I thought to myself. He wouldn't do that. Still, I was cautious walking into the gym. Maybe he's late? I thought, then reconsidered. No, Dimitri is never late.

“Rose?”

I jumped a mile at the sound of her voice. “Mom?” I exclaimed, spinning around. “What are you doing here? Where's Dimitri?”

Mom smiled. “Dimitri just came back a few hours ago from his shopping trip with Lady Ozera. He's probably sleeping right now. I’m here to train you. Aren't you happy to see me?” she asked, feigning hurt.

I chuckled. “Of course I’m happy to see you! I was just really hoping to tell, erm, well, show Dimitri something amazing!” I was practically glowing with the smile on my face. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I floated away with happiness.

Mom looked at me curiously. “What happened?” she questioned.

My smiled widened even more. “The baby kicked for the first time!!!” I squealed, clapping my hands excitedly.

Mom's face lit up with happiness. “Really? Can I feel?” she asked excitedly, putting out her hand. I took and put to where I had felt the baby's light kick.

“Come on, baby, kick for grandma,” I cooed.

Mom looked at me, insulted. “Hey!”

I shrugged. “Hey, you are his or her gran-” The baby kicked, cutting off my words.

Mom's eyes widened. “It's beautiful,” she breathed.

We looked at each other, both of our hands on my stomach, joy and awe dancing in our eyes.

DPOV:

I lay in bed awake. I had gotten back from the shopping trip with Tasha a few hours ago; I’d fallen asleep, but woke up a couple hours later and have been unable to fall back asleep. My mind drifted to Tasha. She had offered me to be her guardian, giving me the chance to have children with her if I so desired. I could tell this was something she had been thinking about for a while, and she felt for me more than friendship, but I knew I couldn't return those feelings. My thoughts went to Rose, thinking of my Roza's reaction to the offer. There you go again, calling her your Roza. She's not yours! I scolded myself. I sighed.

I knew I liked Rose more than I should. Hell, I can honestly say, after last night, that I was really and truly falling for her, and falling hard. Kind of like a train wreck – you couldn't stop it, and couldn’t look away. I could tell she liked me too. I’d seen the way she looks at me when she thinks I’m not paying attention, or the way her breath always hitches slightly when I touch her. The look of wonder and happiness on her face last night after I kissed her told me as much.

And that in and of itself should convince me to go with Tasha because there was no way we could be together. Not only was there the age and position difference to think about, but also the fact that we were going to be Lissa's guardians. There was no way in hell that I could focus on Lissa at all while Rose was in the room.

There was also our child to think about, though. I couldn't leave Rose to take care of our child by herself. It's not your child! A voice inside my head hissed. I shook it off. I knew the child wasn't biologically mine, but that didn't stop me from considering it as mine own. I knew that given the chance, Rose would have the child grow up calling me dad, and the thought warmed my heart.