Chapter 16. An Apology Too Late

STATUS: 1st EDIT

"Nina, please look at me."

My eyes were glued to the grassy plains my feet stood under. I knew if my gaze shifted to his, he could persuade me to stay and I didn't want that to happen.

"I'm sorry Harry, but you have to know who you are before you know someone else."

I expected to be chased after, to be stopped. I was practically hoping for him to stop me, but as my feet made contact with the concrete I turned back to see him standing there against the tree with his hands stuffed into his pockets, his head bowed and he looked up to see me looking at him.

He nodded, and I swear I saw a smile perch its way onto his features. That's when it hit me: everything I wanted to discover was standing right in front of me.

If I wanted to discover myself I needed help, to have someone there to tell me if I've made a bad decision. Knowing me, I'd probably try to bring back baggy parachute pants, but if I had someone there to help me I wouldn't have to worry about making huge missteps.

So I turned back around to see that Harry was no longer standing by the tree. I sighed knowing I had just let the best thing ever slip through my fingers. Tears became apparent as they stung and blurred my vision. I needed to sit down. I needed to get a grip.

So my feet carried me to a very familiar place, the lake I had met Niall at after the tape scandal. Now this, you could say, is where it all started. If I wouldn't have stalked Niall and found him, I never would have gotten the chance to know Harry, but I did. I am very thankful that inside of a terrible mistake was a beautiful reward, but the memories of what just happened reappeared in front of my eyes. The tears got heavier until I was full out sobbing.

"Why are you crying?"

I didn't dare to look up at the stranger talking to me, because I was afraid I'd scare them away and I needed someone to talk to.

"I fucked up my whole life."

I tried to muffle the sounds of my whimpers, but the more I talked the more I thought which made me cry more.

"How does someone 'fuck up' their life? You're not dead, are you?"

The dead part made me chuckle. I had wished for death so many times, but it never came.

"Everyone I've ever loved either hates me or I've turned them away. I might not be dead, but that seems a lot better than whatever this is."

As I controlled my tears, I braved myself to look up at the stranger. I realized it wasn't a stranger at all, but in fact someone I use to love very much that had inflicted hatred upon me. The one who caused me to go up onto the bridge.

"Not everyone you've given your love to hates you."

As the words fumbled from his lips, I looked at him in complete and utter awe. Was he trying to tell me something, that he's forgiven me for my actions?

"What are you trying to say?"

His hand reached for mine, but I scooted it away trying to avoid any contact. I wanted Harry, not Niall, even if he was someone I loved very deeply in the past.

"Nina, I lied. You weren't my biggest mistake, you were one of my greatest accomplishments. I was a fool to treat you the way I have been. I just hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

I was a bit thrown back by his statement, but a bit puzzled on what to do. It would be rude of me not to forgive him after what I did to him, but if I did, what would others think of me, of us? How would Harry react?

"I forgive you, but we can't recapture the past. The chapter of Nina and Niall is over in my life, and I'd like to keep it that way."

As I began to get up, Niall shifted his position, got up, and followed behind me.

"That's too bad."

His three worded sentence shocked me. It reminded me of us when we were teenagers, but we weren't teens anymore. We were adults, and we both needed to start acting like them.

"I have to go."

As I turned around I felt an arm wrap around my waist. One that pulled me into a kiss, one that I tried to pull away from and hate, but one I just couldn't resist. I kissed back and I knew I was going to regret it, but in this moment nothing else seemed to matter.

"Thanks for the pictures!"

As the words were yelled, our passionate embrace broke. We could see a man who was probably close to death, running, or more like hobbling away, with a camera in his hands.

"I'm screwed."

I thought about chasing after the man, but what would that do? Even if I did chase after him, the fact that I kissed Niall would still be a problem. I didn't know what to do. My heart was pounding. I had to get to Harry before that picture did, or else everything I wanted in life would disappear.

So off I went to Harry's apartment, but I knocked on the door and no one answered. I was out of options. I didn't know what to do or where to look. So I pulled out my mobile and dialed his number, hoping and praying he'd answer. When the phone was answered, my heart stopped.

"Why, Nina? I didn't know that by finding yourself you meant finding Niall's lips."

His words cut through me, leaving holes in my heart, un-patching all the stitches that had kept it together.

"Harry, it's not like that at all!"

I screamed into the phone, but it was no use. The picture spoke more than words.

"Then what's it like? Please, tell me."

His voice resembled hurt and his breathing was faster than normal. I could tell I was hurting him by each word I voiced.

"I don't love him, Harry. I love you."

I didn't want to pull the L card, especially at a time like this, but it seemed necessary.

"Nina."

.......

{A/N}

Sorry about the short chapter but it was drama filled and hopefully for Niall shippers this makes you happy but um I have a bone to pick with ya'll. Okay so um last chapter which I worked my little pale butt on only got 27 comments! I know I sound like a crazy lunatic but come on I usually get 40-50 I feel like no one's reading anymore and people are losing interest. Which is really frustrating to me so show me you still are reading by commenting 'BUNNIES' down below.

In other news I have another fanfiction up called 'did someone order a stripper?' it is a Harry Styles fanfiction and is also going to be very sexual so go check that out to but anyway I still love you all very much and can't wait to hear what you thought of this chapter!

also the video on the side has nothing to do with this chapter lol I was just listening to it while I typed the story and thought I'd put it on the side and because Olly Murs is amazing!

xoxoxoxoxo