30: The Truth Behind The Cracked Photo (Mint)

Did I make it? Am I back in the Realm? I lift my eyelids. Unhappiness overflows me. Grass; red brick; black cat; I'm still here. It didn't work.
I feel tears swell in my eyes. I stand up and run to my room. Crying, I slam the door closed and lie on my bed. I hear a door open. I lift my head from my pillow. "Kona," I sniff as I see him walk from the closet as he did yesterday, "It didn't work... I'm still here, it happened again..." He watches me calmly. "I'm so sorry..." I cut him off, "I'm dead for life. The passage is closed; I'm never going back." I face plant into my pillow again. I murmur quietly, "It's too late."
Kona sits on the bed. He grabs my shoulder and pulls me up. He looks me in the eyes. "That's the same thing you said to me back in the Realm about you and Coco, and guess what happened? It wasn't true. You and Coco became best friends again." I wipe my tears. "You'll see her again Mint." I bow my head. "Not this time Kona." His hand slides across the bed to meet mine. I resist. "I just wish I could always have her with me." Kona's hand reaches mine this time. His other hand explores my face. "You'll always have me with you, dead or alive." I smile, "Kona, you're alive as you'll ever be here on earth." He scoots closer to me, our hands still mingled. "So are you, Mint." The blankets tremble below me. Is he going to...? His hand slides into my hair. I feel sweat beginning to form between our foreheads with nervousness. No Mint, you have Shadow. And he really does love you. You can't just betray him! Says a
voice from inside. I can't do this... I pause, backing just inches from Kona. I see his eyes sadden. I lean forward into him arms and kiss him, regretting it immediately afterwards. But he takes it seriousy, one of his hands reaching into my hair and the other wrapping around me. I need to stop him. I need to tell him that I'm with Shadow. He grabs at me. Our mouths rub constantly, and I feel my heart beating rapidly. He pushes me against the headboard, supporting my back with his arm. I know I need to stop him. I have to. I block him from kissing me again. "I'm sorry Kona... I can't..." I stutter, reaching my shaky hand up to my head and pushing his hand away from my hair. He sighs, sitting there over me with clutched teeth. I can almost hear the crack of his heart, and I frown. "I don't why I even tried. You always lead me on and then turn me down!" he says, his eyes clouding, "I knew you were already out of my league... Destined for something greater and I would be in your way. But of course I kept thinking about you..." I feel like crying, and I do, feeling like a terrible person. "I'm so sorry... I never meant to lead you on, I just... felt like you deserved more than a hug," I sniffle, wiping my eyes. "I can tell you feel something for me, I do, I know. But... It also seems like there's something else, and it's complicated for you..." I nod, covering my face, and shaking my head. "It's true. I'm so mixed up that I'm just making decisions and then second guessing them... I think," I swallow, sadness clogging my throat, "I think I need a break from love." Kona smiles, cheering me up. "I thought you were going to be gone forever Mint. I though you left me for sure when you walked into that cave." I look down at our hands which are barely touching. "I did too, but... maybe I can't go back." I suppose, "Maybe I'm stuck without her... and I just have to deal with it. But it's so hard..." Kona pulls me in for a hug. "You'll be okay Mint. You have me..." he calms me, "And I love you Mint. I'll never let you go. Even if you don't feel the same way." This time I don't say anything to argue. He's always going to love me. There's nothing I can do to change that, except break his heart. And I won't do that... He saved my life on the battlefield.
For long I forget about Shadow, letting Kona's soothing voice bring peace to my mind. "I know you do. And... I love you too." I whisper. As a best friend. It feels wrong to have been kissing him. I'm.... I'm cheating. How could I ever explain I love Shadow now?
He flattens my head to his shoulder. "Come with me..." His bangs hang over his eyes as his nervous voice crackles. I breathe, "I don't know Kona... It all just came so fast. Yesterday I battled Shadow People in the Realm, and today I live on earth once more." Moonlight floods transparent through the blinds of the window. "But you have me..." Kona informs. I smile, "I know I do." He sits up this time. "Then come with me. We can live together in peace... No war. Like we've always wanted. I'll take care of you. I promise!" His hands hold my waist. I move them. "I... I guess." I take his hand and we burst through the backdoor.