12: Icy Blue Eyes Tell No Lies (Mint)

I shuffle my paws nervously. "I can't believe you brought me and Coco to this place and turned us into mutants! We'll never get home now!" I cry.
Shadow scrunches up his eyebrows in concern. "I'm so sorry, I was really desperate..."
I raise my eyelids. "Obviously. So that was you we saw that night! You tempted us! How dare you..." I hiss.
Shadow laughs, but looks miserable, "Just catching on? But anyway, they killed my tribe. And I miss them. So much that I have planned revenge for years since it happened... And now, I can finally conquer my foes; avenge my family. My brother is against me on this, so basically we are enemies. But he doesn't seem to be as hurt by what happened as I am..." he says, hugging his tail tight to his chest again.
I look closely at him.
His black hair sweeps across his face perfectly over one eye. His cheek bones clearly defined.
We make eye contact for an awkward second and I look away. He stands up and closes his eyes, the white light coming through the window shining onto his brilliant face.
His bat pendent begins pulsing; lighting up the room with its glisten and he slowly shrinks, disappearing.
I look around, "Shadow? Where are you?" I feel something furry slide across my back, and then his voice. "I'm right here," he answers.
I look over to the side. As my eyes adjust to the darkness, I am able to make out his figure; a sly black cat, with icy blue eyes, the light filtering through the window silhouetting his muscular figure once more.
"Oh, there you are... So, I have a question that I'm hoping you can answer..." I sigh, "How do I turn from cat to human? I need to know. It always seems like whenever I feel scared, or I'm in danger, my pendent starts throbbing."
Shadow nods from the side, "Yes, that's just it. Your nerves control it. It'll take you a little while before you properly can do so, but that's right. You are what I am, and you are not a cat mutant without a pendant."
I smile. "I get it now," I say.
He looks at the ground and then at me. "Wait," he says, glancing at my chest and then looking away weirdly, "where is yours at?" He clears his throat, his face flushing. I stare at him wide eyed, "All I know is that I woke up... and it had disappeared... It's a mint leaf pendant."
He clutches his teeth worriedly. "You can't transform without it. You have to find it! It is... a part of you. I know how weird that sounds. But it's true. You're not..." he pauses, "What is your name?"
I snort, "Mint."
He flicks his ear. "Well, Mint, you're not Mint without it. I will help you find it," he says.
I rest my head on my paws. "Thanks." There is a long moment of silence.
Shadow scoots closer to me, "I'm sorry for acting so creepy earlier. I'm not like that. I only do it to make sure that you are too afraid to attack... and also, I think you know enough about me... I want to ask you... will you join me?" he asks.
I raise my head, looking him in the eyes. His cold stare sends me somewhere... And I feel as if I'm in a trance... but I'm still here.
"I don't know. This is kind of sudden..." I shrug.
He nods his head. "I understand... But it would help a lot if you would," he replies.
I sigh. He's so miserable. I want to help him, but this could be dangerous.
"What tribe of bird mutants would we be attacking?" I ask him, getting onto my paws.
The breeze ruffles our fur.
"Not sure yet. I still have to find the one that did it. But... if I can't... I'll kill them all," he says, his pupils slit.
I raise my eyelids, his words striking me like a knife.
I have to stop him! But how? I decide to bring up Coco.
I swallow, scared. "I have some people I care about, so this is difficult..." I admit.
He tilts his head, calmly holding my gaze, "Who is that?" he urges.
I smile, "Well... Coco. She is the one with the arrow pendant; she's one of us." I answer, leaving out Raven and Luke.
Shadow seems content, "Well, what if we get her to join in too?" he questions.
"You'd do that for me?" I ask. Shadow nods; not speaking. I silently thank him, remembering that this is not my place... I belong with Coco and Raven.
"I still don't know about all of this. How do you know it was bird mutants?! It seems nearfetched," I express.
Shadow slits his eyes at the floor beneath us and says quietly, "I found feathers. What else could've done it?"
I open my mouth to speak: It isn't right to underthink, but he cuts me off, "See? It's obvious. Now... you are welcome to stay the night, and we go off to get your best friend tomorrow. If you want..." he begins.
I flick my tail, "I don't know. This isn't my home, and I still don't trust you. You probably have Coco worried sick for me. And if she finds that I am staying with you, she might try to attack you..." I say, padding away in the opposite direction of Shadow, but still, he's on my mind.

I lie down on a feather lined nest in the corner and curl myself in a ball.
Shadow is one of us. I think I probably should trust him... even though he captured me, and brought us here to The Realm... changing our lives... Why can't I think straight?
I stand up and search my body for anymore wounds. I locate a small dent in my left leg this time; it stings. Did he drug me? I breathe in; his scent still lingers around. I fall to the nest, my head aching. Suddenly my heart starts beating rapidly...
What will I do if he decides to kill all the bird mutants? It's insane to even consider killing one tribe... Without proof it's just... not right.
I toss and turn, trying to get comfortable with the urge of guilt. I wonder if Raven is okay. Is he asleep? Whatever I do I have to stop this from happening.
I open my eyes and look out the small window where Shadow is resting. This is my new home.
The Realm of Time has changed my life. And we might never return to Earth as we know it.
I could be here forever...