22: The Fear of Falling Apart (Mint)

My heart is pounding; nightmares. I sit upwards. Gazing out the window I can see that the sun will be rising soon. Well, why go back to sleep? I'm up now. I watch a hummingbird fly plant to plant outside. We've been here for almost a week now. And everyone seems so intent on this battle. No doubters... except for Kona and I.
I stand up, stretching. Through the window I can see Kona, walking around. I grab a jacket, and quietly open the window.
I crawl through, and close it behind me. I drop from my level, and land on the roof of another. Then from there, I hop down, using my cat instincts. I land on my feet, trying not to wake anyone. I hear someone fidgeting in the room placed beside me, and then all is quiet again.
I tiptoe over to where Kona is pacing back and forth. "What are you doing?" I quietly ask as I step up to him. He stops walking and turns to me. "Mint, I'm worried." I let my tail drag the ground as I step closer. "About what?" He pops his neck, answering, "About you Mint. You've been having some pretty bad dreams... I'm concerned. I don't want you to go insane." I growl, "I'm not going insane from some damn dreams!" I lash my tail, "Those dreams are just getting weirder and weirder... I don't know what I should do. All I know is that we aren't supposed to be here... doing this! It's wrong... we're all wrong!" Kona puts his hand on my shoulder, and I slap it away. "Kona... I'm not insane. These dreams... they're trying to say something. I thought you believed me..." He sighs, "I do. I'm just worried about you, that's all." I curl my lip, "Why? Because I'm a she-cat?! Obviously you don't understand."
I let a tear roll down my face as I run to the creek. I can't believe that I actually thought he understood. No one does. I guess I'm in this all alone... I need to know what these dreams mean.
I stop under a tree sheltering the running waters. I sit down on a rock, with my pendant held in my palms. I separate my hands, to reveal it glowing brightly. But it flickers. Is it... broken? It seems as if it's missing something. I look closer; there is a crack down the middle, and it looks to be growing bigger. Like in the dream... It will break if I don't fix my mistake? What the lifeless face said in my dream haunts me. And I can't help but think hard. "Combine and destroy..." I discern. I squint my eyes in concentration. Combine and destroy what? I see the lifeless face again and hear his warning. "Me," his voice echoes through my skull, and I rub my fingers alongside my head. I don't know what to expect. But whatever it must be, I will beware. I put my hand in the water and pull it out to sip from it. It's icy taste cools off my thoughts and I feel a little calmed and refreshed.
The sky is grey, and clouds are rolling in. All of the birds have cleared, hiding from the storm. Who should combine? All I know is that Coco's pendant, along with mine, are supposed to defeat some darkness? I'm confused. Is it saying for Coco and I to combine? Surely not... This pulled us apart. It couldn't possibly push us back together. Could it?
Leaves crackle behind me, and I spin around. Standing with two spears in his hand is Shadow. "Shadow you scared me." He stops walking and clears his throat. "Sorry Mint." I slightly roll my eyes. "What is it?" I ask. "Well, I was wondering if you would come with me to catch some fish upstream." I flick my tail, "Wouldn't you rather go with Kali?" Shadow stands in awkwardness at my simple question. "Well she's asleep. Plus don't tell her, but she has really terrible aim. It would take her all month to catch one." I smirk, "Yeah okay then." I reach out, and Shadow tosses me one of the spears. I hold it firmly. Engraved in the pole it says: 'Coco'. Why must he always give me hers? Is he trying to remind me of what I lost? I look back down at the pole, and her name has disappeared. Replaced with something different: "Your destiny awaits..." I scream and throw it aside. It almost hits Shadow, and he steps away just in time. He exhales in relief, "What was that for? You spear practicing?" I breathe, not answering. We stand there for a while, and then Shadow hands me a different spear. "Thanks. That other didn't feel right," I state. It really didn't. "No problem, I wouldn't want you to be throwing it randomly all the time," Shadow laughs. I laugh too. I'm going to try to enjoy something for a change. I chose to help. I have to do what I have to do. No matter what the consequences are... I guess. But I'm wrong...
"Come on Mint. We'll follow this stream until it leads to an open area." Shadow says. I nod, not really listening.