13: The Opposing One (Coco)

I blink open my eyes, the bright, incandescent moon blinding me. I look at my clenched hand, my knuckles are white. I open it. Mint's leaf pendant lays flat against my palm, faintly glowing in the darkness. Wait... Glowing? I sit up, gently laying Luke's arm on the ground. He grumbles, turning on his side. I look at him, his lips turned up in a faint smile; his face gently reflecting the soft moonlight, his long lashes brushing his cheek bones. I smile sadly. I lean down and breathe in his scent. I brush my lips against his cheek softly. Then I pull away.
I grab a spear and pad out of the cave.

I refuse to look back, back at the winged boy I had fallen in love with so easily. Then, clenching Mint's pendant in my hand, I walk into the forest. The trees seem to reach out for me. Their skeletal-like limbs dividing the ink black sky. I shiver, my ears flattening. I know why Mint's pendant was glowing. She is close by. I can feel it.

I stop at leaves rustling. I hold the spear in the air snarling. "Who's there?" I lash my tail. No reply. I growl, my throat vibrating. "One more time, who is there?" I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I spin around.
A boy silhouetted by the blue gloom of the forest takes a step towards me. He steps into the moonlight. I try not to gasp. His blond hair reflects the moonlight, his blue eyes staring into me. I stare. He has cat ears, golden, tipped with black fuzz, like a lion's. His tail lashes from side to side. It's golden with black fur on the end. "Um... hi." I choke out. "Hi." He replies. His eyes flick over me. I see something flash there. Longing? Interest? I awkwardly flick my ears. "I didn't believe my brother when he said there were more of us." He breathes. My stomach flutters at this simple statement. "Who are you?" I ask suspiciously, narrowing my eyes. "I'm Niko. And I know where your friend is, Coco." I growl, "She's my best friend, and how'd you know my name?" He chuckles softly, his eyes wrinkling at the corners. "I just know. Do you want to know where Mint is?" he asks. I look down at Mint's pendant. "Yes, yes I do." I growl softly. "Come on then." He starts walking away. When I don't follow, he glances back at me. "Coming?" I shake my head. "I can find her on my own." I say firmly. He takes a step towards me, "No, you can't. My brother is clever. He's hidden her. Only I know where." I growl, "Fine." My pendant starts pulsing, and I feel myself shrinking. I slip Mint's pendant over my neck and look up at Niko. He smiles, and shrinks as well. He meows flicking his tail. His fur is golden, like a lion's; the black fur on his ears wave in the breeze. I look at his pendant, it's strange. It doesn't have a specific shape. It's kind of like a star with a green stone in the middle. He clears his throat then meows, "Come with me."

I follow him into the forest, the brown decayed leaves crunching under my paws. "Do you know why your brother took my best friend?" I ask, breaking the silence. He sighs, "Yes. He wants to make an army of cat mutants." "Why?" I ask, puzzled. "When we were just kits, we lived in a tribe of cat mutants. Our father... was the leader. One day, the bird mutants destroyed everything. Our father and mother died, as did all the others. We were the only ones who survived." He murmurs. I lay my tail across his back. "That's awful." I whisper. He's making an army because he wants to destroy the bird mutants, starting with Raven and Luke." He says, stepping over a log. I feel as if someone punched me in the stomach. Niko, seeing my face, stops. "I don't support him at all. Sure, the bird mutants made a mistake, but Shadow shouldn't get revenge. Revenge is not right. My father and mother would be ashamed. I've tried stopping him, but he won't listen. So I came to find you. I hope that together we can convince him not to kill them." He inhales sharply, his eyes flashing. I snarl, narrowing my eyes. "Trust me, he won't."