10: Tears Do Fall (Coco)

I sit on the cool, rocky floor of the cave, watching Luke make a fire.

His tan, slender fingers expertly spin the stick until a burst of flames erupts from the dried grass. He blows on it until it makes a fire. Then he sits back; a satisfied grin on his face.

I should be with Mint...
I shake my head.
Oh yeah. She has Raven now.

I feel something touch my arm, something soft and feathery.
I look over at Luke.
He's staring at me like a cat that sees a mouse. I blush, looking down.
His wing goes over my back, sending shivers down my spine.

Then I hear a scream.

I bolt upright and dash out of the cave.

I know that scream...

"Mint!" I shriek.
I look around frantically. My ears pick up leaves rustling. I dash into the forest. I feel myself shrink. I look at my throbbing arrow pendant and yowl.

I come into a clearing and stop. Standing there, looking deadly with icy blue eyes and jet black hair, stands a boy.
Mint is slung over his shoulder in cat form, her eyes staring at nothing.
The boy's black ears flatten; his tail lashes. He pulls his lips back into a snarl before disappearing into thin air.

I run to where they had been, yowling.
I growl, than feel a tear roll down my furry cheek.
All that's left is Mint's leaf pendant, fluttering in the wind.

Mint...