23: Bleeding Out (Mint)

"Where am I?" All I see is red and black, and something far away that is glowing. "You're future... that's where." Some mysterious voice states. A face flashes by, and I try to shut my eyes, but it's like they're stuck open. I am forced to look at his face, and hear a scream that sounds very familiar. "Coco?!" I look around, but my vision is blurred. The only thing visible is the face, grinning in satisfaction. "What have you done with her?!" I demand, crying. The face grins wider, "Wrong. It's what have you done with her?!" I scream, "Nothing! I'd never hurt her!" The face begins to zoom out, "Then why did you let this happen? She's ours now. And so are your precious friends!" I focus my vision, trying to make out the figures struggling to survive. "Let them go!" I shout. But the face is long gone, and I am left to watch my friends die. Shadow looks up from the depths. His blue eyes are icier than ever, and they shatter brightness throughout the hollowed deeps... "If only you would've listened Mint. If only..." I hear someone repeat in my mind. "Combine and destroy! Combine and destroy! Before it's too late..." My head is pounding and my body is full of shivers. My eyes go black, and then something bright blinds me, I squint trying to see... There's black fog rolling in, and swirling. And down below is my pendant, along with Coco's pendant. One is sat on top of the other, and lightning strikes from the sky. It hits the black fog, surrounding it with sharp rays; almost like long skinny needles. And the sky clears, letting peace flow. "Combine and destroy Mint. Do it before it's too late..."
"No, let them go!" I scream, sitting up. It was just a dream... My heart feels like it is beating out of my chest, and my face is dripping sweat. The blankets have been tossed off the bed, and I struggle up to my feet. I swing the curtains open, and step off the bed. I pad to the bathroom, and get a towel. I slide it along my face, drying it. Putting it down, I look in the mirror, and scream. In the reflection, I see Coco standing behind me. Her face is pale and her eyes are white. I blink my eyes to see it was only an allusion. Maybe Kona was right... Maybe I am going insane.

Stella has called a meeting this morning, so I put on some nice clothes. The meeting will be outside, where Stella will stand on a big platform to give her announcement.
I open the door and walk outside. Kali is walking ahead of me, next to Shadow, who is not paying attention to her. "Shadow! I want to know what you think. Don't you think that Mint is too weak to be the commander in chief?" she asks. Shadow turns his head to face her. "Well, actually, I think she will be great." Shadow states. Wow, when they first met it was like love at first sight. Now it seems as if Shadow wants to barf on her. "Hey Kali." I greet, "Looking irritated this morning..." Kali stops and turns around. "Not until you opened your mouth sweetie." She spits. I brush my shoulder, "You know you spit a little when you speak, that's pure sign of snootiness." Kali sticks out her tongue, "Well you don't. You must be too mannered to have the battle. How about, you give your place as commander in chief to someone who really deserves it." I step past her. "I'd love to, but Stella probably won't accept it if I asked for Shadow to take my position." I walk away. Or would she? "Not to him! To me!" I hear Kali spat. Oh jeez. It's actually becoming very annoying now passing her by. It's been almost a week since I've become the commander in chief, and so many people don't accept me... It's like they don't trust me yet or something. You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to give my position to Shadow. I mean, it was his idea in the first place to come here. He knows so much more than I do. Stella is just going to have to accept it. My mind is full, but for the first time I remember yesterday morning. Kona kissed me. I like that he cares so much about me, but I'm forgetting who I really belong to... Raven. I have to do something... I need to tell Kona that I can't be with him.
I open the doors to the den and walk out. Stella is standing on a platform in the center of the village. She sees me, and begins to call everyone. "Okay everyone! We're having a meeting!" she announces. People begin to come out of their dens, and step up around her. "Mint, if you would please step up beside me." Stella says. I push my way through everyone to step up onto the platform. The wind blow wilder up here, and my hair waves behind me. "Mint, as my commander in chief, you will have lots of responsibilities-"
"I'm sorry, but I can't be your commander in chief Stella. I'd like to turn my position over to Shadow," I interrupt. Shadow is wide eyed, and everyone stares at him. "What?" Stella questions. I turn to her, "I'm resigning. Please accept." I say. Stella looks around for a bit. "Um, Shadow, would you please step up here." She instructs. Shadow makes his way through everybody and steps foot-by-foot, up the stairs to stand beside me. Before Stella can say anything, he leans into my ear. "What are you doing?" he asks. Before I can answer, Stella speaks, "Shadow, it seems as if Mint would like you to take her place. Would you like to be my commander in chief?" Shadow holds up his hand. "Mint, are you sure?" he whispers in my ear. I nod. Shadow puts his hand down. "Yes." There are murmurs from the crowd, and I see Kali making a blank face. Stella walks over to me, "Mint, there is a reason why I chose you. But if this is what you want, then I accept." I nod, and walk down off the platform. People stare at me as I walk to stand in the back. The wind is blowing furiously, and I try to let my hair cover my embarrassed face. Stella welcomes Shadow, and begins speaking of something else. "Alright everyone, something important that we need to discuss is which bird tribe to attack. It could've been any of them. But there is one certain bird tribe that has caused harm before. And that tribe is The Tribe of Flying Souls. We will attack them in two days. We will leave tomorrow morning. We will step up to them, and call them out. No raiding. This will be a fair battle. It has been three weeks since Shadow and his team brought this message, so you had plenty of time to train. Finish up all of your training today, and then if you would like, you may go hunting and stock up on food. Now, this is the end of the meeting. Meet back here tomorrow morning." Stella steps off the platform, and Shadow follows her. He heads towards me, but I don't want to talk about it. I shrink to my cat form, and climb up a tree. He walks by, looking for me. "Mint? Where are you?" I wait until he has gone, and then I crawl back down. I grow in to my human form, and head for the creek again. It seems to be the only place I can concentrate.
I sit down on the bolder under the tree, and watch the fish swim by. Well, at least Shadow gets what he wanted. Revenge... It never would've worked out if we wanted to be together. He wants to destroy the bird mutants, and honestly, I want to go home. I miss my family. I miss my cats. Even though I am one now, it's different... They're probably worried sick about us. This all started because of our curiosity... I hope Raven won't be angry at me. The first thing I'm going to do when we start the battle, is find him. We can't stop this battle from happening, but we can try. I need to find Kona.
I stand up, looking into the sky. I don't see where I am going, and I bump into him. "Mint, there you are." I realize he had been looking for me too. "Oh hey Kona, I was just coming to find you. I need to talk to you..." I utter. He grabs my hands, "Mint did you give Shadow your position because of what you believe?" I nod. "That was smart. Now we just need to figure out how to stop this battle." Kona says. "Combine and destroy, before it's too late..." Kona notices that I'm worrying, and he puts his arms around me. "Did you have another nightmare, Mint?" I nod into his shirt, letting him comfort me. "What happened?" Kona questions me. I let go. "Well, the same thing... Coco's pendant and mine are there, and then this darkness comes... and then it's gone..." Darkness... I continue, "But this time, I saw you... and my other friends... and you were left to die... burning in a hell-like place. And there is this lifeless face, and he keeps saying: 'Combine and destroy...' or 'your destiny awaits...' Kona, maybe I am going insane." I guess. Kona puts his head against mine. "Not possible. It's just a dream Mint. Know that I'll always be here to comfort you." I don't say anything after that. I forget that I'm supposed to tell him that I can't be with him. I'll let him comfort me. I need it more than anything. And what if Raven hates me now? He has probably already found someone of his own kind.