Better yet Worse

Chapter 4

Lorean was right, I did feel better the next morning.

It's amazing how bad things may seem at night, but in the morning you can see the beauty in them even in the hardest of times.

As I walked into to the great hall to get breakfast I decided to go talk to my brothers. Albus was sitting closer to the staff table.

James was sitting with the other 7th years, but he saw me and came over to where Albus and I were. I sat next to Albus with James seated on his left.

 "Well kiddo," James said, "I sent an owl to mum and dad last night. I suppose we'll have a reply by noon."

Albus put his arm around me in a warm, brotherly way and looked at me.

 "Don't worry Lily. Everything is alright. And dad and mum are going to be thrilled."

 "Yeah! And on the bright side..now you have proof that you're smarter than us!"

I couldn't help but laugh. What would I do without my brothers? I hugged them both, left, and went to sit next to Lorean and a girl named Holly, also a first year who was examining our schedule.

Transfiguration with Professor Forrest, head of Gryffindor

History of Magic with Professor Binns

Charms with Professor Ramsey (head of Ravenclaw)

Potions with Professor Finnigan (Professor FINNIGAN? as in Seamus Finnigan?? Oh no..)

Herbology with Professor Longbottom

And Flying lessons with Professor Jordan, my Uncle George's good friend!

Transfiguration was a very fun class.. Professor Forrest is a tall young man with a deep, deep voice. He has very white teeth. Most of the girls find him very attractive..I on the other hand find him 20 years older than me.

History of Magic is a very boring class, I thought my parents were exaggerating when they said Binns will put you to sleep.. Holly and I had to keep pinching eachother to keep from snoozing.

Charms was great, I love Professor Ramsey, he makes us Ravenclaws feel very special. I have a thing for charms. Professor Ramsey was very pleased.

In the great hall at lunch I heard the flutter of owls swoop in with the post. I nervously awaited the familiar snowy white owl that belonged to my parents.

 It wasn't hard to spot him and he swooped in dropping a letter on my plate. I took a deep breath and opened it. It read:

 "Lily, We received James' owl late last night and can't tell you how thrilled we are to have a Ravenclaw in the family. Hope you are having a wonderful time. Write often. We want to hear all about school. Give James and Albus our love, Mother and Father."

 I showed the letter to Lorean, and gave the owl a treat before it flew off again. A sudden burden was lifted off my shoulders and my appetite increased.

 After a refreshing lunch I headed to Potions.

Potions was..well, interesting..

Professor Finnigan hasn't changed since he was a boy (According to what I've heard about him from my parents) He was very confident, but not very successful. He talked rather fast and his deep accent was hard to understand. After a handful of exploding cauldrons and one boy from Hufflepuff having some of his hair blown off, Potions was finally over, and we left the dungeon.

Herbology was next.

It was so nice to have a class where I knew the professor. I entered the greenhouse, waved to Professor Longbottom and he beamed at me.

 He's an absolutely wonderful professor and really outstandingly knowledgeable about all sorts of Herbological things.

Lastly was flying lessons. Professor Jordan is hilarious, I can see why he and Uncle George are such great friends.

 He humorously lectured us saying things like "If you stay on your broom for more than two hours without resting, your legs will begin to cramp up until they fall off," and "Be sure not to ride on them at night because they have a mind of their own at night and will take you who knows where."

Most of us knew he was joking but I could see frightened faces on a few of the students. We stood next to our brooms and shouted, "Up!" I was the first to get mine to come up into my hand.

That was reassuring. Although I'm not a Gryffindor, perhaps I'll be a Quidditch star like both my parents.

It took quite some time for everyone to get their brooms up but Professor Jordan was pleased.

That ended classes for one day. That night in the Ravenclaw common room, A boy named Daniel Thomas began to teach me how to play Wizard's chess. He is great at it, and I'm determined to beat him soon.

That night after all the girls in our dormitory were asleep, I climbed out of bed and sat in the window gazing out upon the grounds of Hogwarts. I could see Hagrid sitting outside his house drinking and singing. I was at home. Yet I didn't feel home at all.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you all ever so much for the wonderful comments! I'm so glad you are enjoying it! If you have any plot suggestions, character suggestions, anything-please let me know! I would love any ideas and I will credit you :-)

Thanks again!

~m. j. grant