Part 4: Embark (3)

Published on site: August 10, 2011

Author's note: The conclusion of the mini arc! But we're not done yet. owo

-

     It’s strange how easy it is for one’s world to be turned upside down when they least expect it, whether it be from one major event or a minor chain that fell apart after being so neatly constructed. You might have plans to do one thing, but then that gets pushed back when trouble begins piling up because of it. It might be tempting to try and get away from it all, just to unwind and collect the remaining bits of your sanity. Many people do it at least once or twice, so it’s fairly normal.

     However, this should not be confused with constantly fleeing from your problems to avoid confronting it. No matter what the excuse may be. Then again, it does have its advantages.

Chapter 33

Run to the Truth

     Picking up where we left off, at the side of the building, directly below a certain window, was a white, metallic dumpster that, judging by the amount of rust accumulating on it, had seen better days. Shinta and Daisy popped their heads out of the trash shortly after falling in it, and the first thing Daisy did was shriek at the realization. It smelt like something had died in there, which is quite befitting seeing as how they just dodged death moments ago.

     “This is disgusting! You better hope my clothes aren’t stained!” she complained, grimacing as she peeled a rotten banana off her head.

     “It’s not like I had any other choice. Be glad you’re still alive,” Shinta replied coldly while climbing out of the dumpster.

     Daisy followed behind him and quickly checked her clothes, brushing off anything that clung to her, but otherwise her clothes would be fine after a wash or two. Then she asked, “So you gonna get that thing back?”

     Shinta kept on walking without looking at her. “Nah, my work here is done.”

     “What do you mean? She might do something bad with it! You’re just gonna let her?”

     “You’ve got the wrong idea. What I gave her wasn’t what I used on the rabbit.”

     Daisy cocked her head slightly. “For real?”

     “Yeah, I have three types. The blue one, Sana-7, accelerates the regeneration in cells or whatever so it’s like you spent two weeks healing in two minutes. I also have purple, Beastia-5, but I never used it and it supposedly doesn’t work. As for the red one…”

     Excuse me for the interruption, but I would like to take this time to bring you back to the queen, who is about to use the very same vial Shinta is describing. I think it will help illustrate what he’s about to explain. So without further ado, she inserted the needle and injected the liquid into her bloodstream. It must have been fast acting, because she was already mumbling about how she could feel it flowing inside her, and she broke out in sweat as her excitement grew. Meanwhile, the guards were watching her curiously, unaware of what it would do.

     And then the show started. Suddenly, large, round growths began to form on her arm, rising and bubbling like boiling water under her skin. The growths multiplied, traveling up her shoulder and her chest, and ravaged every last inch of her entire body. She inflated like a hot air balloon, her eyes bulging out of her sockets as her head hit the ceiling. She screamed, but even that was difficult with the growths on her tongue. She cried for help, she cried that it burned, she cried that she didn’t want to die, but no one could do a thing about it except witness the sheer horror of her fate.