Part 1: Requiem (4)

Published on site: March 2, 2011

-

    Today our trio will face the first of the many horrors of reality. How do I know this? Well it’s because I’m the narrator, of course. A confusing, amateurish one at that, but nonetheless still a narrator.

    You’ll just have to trust me on this.

Chapter 4

The Fat Flutters Away

    Before we dive right in, let’s see what ordinary thing they’re doing at this moment. It seems like they’re having lunch outside a convenience store, sitting down at one of the metal tables that were just as convenient. Oh don’t look at me like that. I could explain why this is important, but I don’t have time for that.

    After eating in silence for an extended period of time, Lily was the first to let out an annoyed groan, ruffling up her hair as if to vent out her rage. “Oh my god! Don’t either of you two have anything to talk about? Neither of you has spoken a word since yesterday. It’s driving me crazy!”

    Kyo casually shrugged his shoulders, oblivious as to why she was acting like this. “No. Is that a bad thing?”

    “I don’t think so,” Shinta answered with his mouth full, causing Lily to sneer at him with disgust.

    “Okay, fine!” she exclaimed, putting on an optimistic smile, “Seeing as how you two aren’t as socially apt as I am, I’m just going to have to start it myself.” She sat there for a moment, contemplating on what they could talk about, and it wasn’t until she glanced down at the table that she got an idea. “I know! What’s your favorite food?”

    Shinta rolled his eyes. “Pretzels.”

    “Chicken,” Kyo answered almost instantly.

    Lily’s grin seemed to grow wider as she responded to her own question. “Blueberry pie slushies for me!”

    Coincidentally this is what they were having for lunch, though to be specific Kyo’s was a sandwich. Unfortunately for Lily this conversation was short lived, since shortly after their replies, a rather obese woman in a flowery dress began sobbing over at the next table.

    “Oh please don’t mention food!” she cried, blowing her nose into a worn out tissue, “He always used to love the food I made for him!”

    The three of them were completely baffled by the woman’s statement, but Kyo, being the oh-so-wonderful person he was, decided to move over to sit at her table. He waited a bit for her to take a few stifling breaths to try and calm down, then placed a tender hand over hers. “I don’t quite understand, miss. Would you care to elaborate, if it’s not too much trouble?”

    Of course this resulted in the woman bursting into tears once more, but she started to explain her story anyway. It’s difficult to decipher her nearly incoherent babbling, but I’ll do my best to provide a translation.

    Apparently her son has been locked up inside his room for over a month now. Being the only overweight boy in the school, he tended to get picked on a lot. He could have fought back, but, being a mama’s boy, he didn’t want to inconvenience her by getting in trouble. So he just let himself get beaten and his lunch stolen until he couldn’t handle it anymore and cried to her about it. They would talk to the principal, they were punished, and things would be alright up to the next year. Then the cycle would repeat again, and it always seemed to be the same bullies since elementary school.

    It wasn’t until recently in high school that he confessed to another bullying at school, and, having enough of this, she had a talk with the principal and everything to get those boys expelled. She thought that would fix it permanently, but the next day he came home all bruised up and went straight into his room.