Part 2: Outbreak (2)

Published on site: April 15, 2011

Author's note: The 'language' Shinta and Kyo speak near the beginning is known as Nadsat. Look it up if you're curious to know what they're saying.

-

     Do you believe in coincidences? That something very convenient simply occurred for no reason whatsoever? Or maybe you are the type to believe in destiny, where one thing or another is meant to happen at some point in time. Of course, those type of people still enjoy reading horoscopes and classic romance novels about star-crossed lovers, but I digress.

     I ask this because, dearest reader, today will prove to be one of the most extraordinary coincidences you’ll ever witness. Trust me on this. When have I ever lied to you before?

Chapter 12

CA-LI-CO

     We’re brought back to that all too familiar setting of a bar, with the group, minus Frew, sitting leisurely on one of the luxurious couches rather than at the counter. It’s interesting how they were able to get a spot there, when it was usually occupied with people that lacked any decency or morals, but they must have gotten lucky. They were right in the middle of discussing literature, and Lily had mentioned how much she was into monster novels. She raised her arms like a ferocious beast and made odd gurgling noises, causing the two males to chuckle a little at the impression.

     “Say, that reminds me,” Shinta said, looking over to Kyo, “Did you ever finish that book I handed you at the library?”

     “Of course,” Kyo replied, giving Shinta a mysteriously playful smile, “In fact, it was quite a horrowshow.”

     Shinta adorned a mischievous grin of his own. “You should viddy the sinny. They made the devotchkas older, but it still has the old in-out in-out.”

     “They kept all of the ultraviolence?”

     “Yep, and the shaika have the best outfits. One word: Codpieces.”

     …Your guess is as good as mine, dear reader. I can’t even begin to guess what they’re saying.

     “Will you two speak English?!” Lily intervened, her cheeks puffed up in annoyance, “It’s bad enough I can’t understand my boyfriend half the time since I don’t know shit about Japanese, so cut it out!”

      Oh right, I forgot to mention that, didn’t I? I had been so distracted by that outrageously blue hair that I didn’t say anything about Jinko being Japanese. You may commence hating me now.

     Kyo was oddly sympathetic about her statement, and I’m sure he would have bowed if he wasn’t already sitting. “I apologize. I could give you the book, if you like. It does have a ‘monster’ in the form of a teenage boy, so I’m sure you’d like it.”

     Lily stubbornly averted her gaze and mumbled a maybe. Please say no, so that our readers have at least someone they can understand. I’m not very good at translating, you know!

     “Prostite menya. Govorite li vy po Russki?”

     …Like that. The trio turned their attention to the sudden, foreign voice, only to find themselves staring at not one, but two people. They were both women, Feline Furries with simply the ears and tail, and shared the same face with a large nose and ocean blue eyes. Well I should say eye, since one of them wore an eye patch over her left eye. This same woman had curly hair that extended past her shoulders, and wore a tight, red dress with spaghetti straps. As for the other woman, her hair was long in the front, but cut short in the back, and she wore a loose, sky blue dress with mid-length sleeves.