The Fence (Chapter 7)

As the months passed, Zoey was only there in body. She didn't think anything could bring her out of her hell hole. That was until she heard a party from the other side of the fence.

She lightly jumped out of bed and opened the window she had left closed for a long time. This is what she heard....

"Hey Luke!"

"You're back man!"

"Didn't think you were!"

"Why'd you delay your return so many months?"

"I heard your mother had to beg you to come back!"

That was all Zoey heard before she was dashing out the window. She went straight to the fence and waited.

Slowly the crowd started to thin. Until only Luke was still outside. He would have been almost twenty, Zoey realised.

He bent down to pick up a bottle and Zoey saw a scar that ran the whole way along his cheek. She gasped.

Luke spun around and spotted her. Their was a look in his eyes that Zoey couldn't see in the darkness.

"Your brother was a brilliant fighter," he stated.

Zoey ran over to give him a hug, but he held her back. Instead she ran her fingers down the scar.

"My brother did this?" she whispered.

"I'm sorry to hear about what happened," Luke said. His head drooped down to look at his feet.

"Oh, I'm fine now you're here!" Zoey said absolutely ecstatic.

Luke's face flew upwards. "Are you mad, insane?! How can you stand to be near me? How do you know I didn't kill your brother? You're almost fifteen! Use your head!"

Zoey laughed, "But Luke, I know you would never hurt me like that!"

"Zoey, I wouldn't have thought twice about killing your brother,"

Zoey started to back away, "but it wasn't you, was it?"