The Fence

This is my first story so I hope you will give it a chance!!!!!! I would appreciate it!!!!!

Thanx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue

Death. The one word that strikes fear into every person's heart. Some fear the pain; some fear the loss, while others fear the unknown. Death was the first thing that came to most people heads when the war started in the year 3058 between two neighbouring countries. But this war has not occurred yet in this story, for this story starts seven years before the war began.....

Chapter 1

Five year old Zoey Livewood didn't understand that going onto other people's property was trespassing. She only wanted her ball back. So Zoey simply slipped through the gap in the fence.

Zoey had always known about the hole in the fence. It had been there as long as she could remember. She had constantly used it to go get lost items that had made their way over the fence. She never had any problem before.

The fence was an ivy fence. Over the years the fence must have worn away, so that now there was a hole, big enough for Zoey to climb through.

Zoey looked around the garden. She had never met her neighbours on this side of the fence. Her family didn't get along well with them. Why that was, Zoey didn't know.

Whoever owned this land obviously liked gardening. While Zoey's garden was made up of finely grown grass and paving with statues, this garden was like a maze of bushes, trees and finely cut grass sculptures.

While looking around, Zoey hadn't noticed someone come up behind her until they spoke.

"Hello, who are you? My name's Luke," she turned around to see a boy about five years older than her. While she was pale with brown hair, this boy had tanned skin and blond hair, which had been ruffled in the wind. He was almost cute but Zoey didn't notice that. She was looking at what he was holding.

"My ball!" she exclaimed, trying to grab it from him.

"Nah ah, It's mine now," Luke stuck his tongue out at her.

While they argued faint voices could be heard from the other side of the fence but neither of them were paying attention.

Zoey went to grab for the ball but Luke caught her and held her to him in a half hug. That's how Will saw them when he came through the gap in the fence.

Will was Zoey's older brother, by six years, and everyone knew that if you messed with Zoey you were messing with Will. Will was VERY protective. And for some reason, Zoey doubted that hugging the next door neighbour was going to get her off lightly.

Next thing Zoey knew she was the other side of the fence.

"What did you just do?" Will growled.

"I was trying to get my ball back!" wailed Zoey, realising that Luke still had the ball. "And I want it back!"

"Well you're not going to get it back, are you," Will stated.

"Yes I -"

"You are never to go back there! Is that understood?!" by now Will was red with rage.

"What's wrong with Luke?" questioned Zoey. Not that she wanted to see the boy again.

Will started to stutter, "It's just that...Maybe...The thing is...You'll find out one day why we can't have anything to do with those people. One day you'll understand,"

"Why can't you tell me?" Zoey whimpered.

"You'll find out when you have to. Trust me you don't want to find out earlier than you have to," Will looked almost sad by this stage. "Is there any reason why you must see him?"

"No, we have absolutely nothing in common," she replied stubbornly, not planning on letting Will in on her plans.

"Good, then you are banned from seeing him," Will said sternly before turning around and heading back towards the house. Zoey stayed lying on the grass, looking at the fence.

Zoey had been wrong; there was one thing that she and Luke had in common. Neither of them were very good at following the rules.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I promise there will be romance!!!!!!!