The Fence (Chapter 5)

Sorry I'm rushing it a bit. It will slow down soon but I won't to get to the exciting bit before I bore you guys. It will either be this chapter or the next one where something big happens so I hope you're in a mood for ...

Chapter 5

The weeks slowly turned to months. Zoey sat by her window, looking across the garden towards the Fence. The fence that had caused so much trouble. She now understood her brothers warning. If she hadn't met with Luke she wouldn't be as confused as she was. What side did she really belong to? While she knew her side was the one she was on she had a longing to cross over to the other side, but if she did that she knew she wouldn't be able to come back.

Her time was spent in her own little world, imagining a life without war. Where there were no sides and it didn't matter who she talked to.

But that wasn't the world she was living in. The world she was living in was one where you had to constantly watch your back because if you looked away for a minute you were dead. Zoey felt dead.

As Christmas Eve rolled around, Zoey became even more petrified, wondering who still stood and who would return home.

When Will walked through the door on Christmas Eve, Zoey let out a breath that she had been holding for many months. As she ran up to him he picked her up and twirled her around. She rested her head on his chest and took in his scent. How she had missed him!

While Will and Zoey had, had some arguments they had always been close. Will had always made sure Zoey's life was perfect and, Zoey realised, he had always tried to keep her safe.

The next few days flew by and Zoey spent every second with Will. She even refused to go to sleep and so after an hour of her sitting outside his door, listening to him breath in and out, she had gone and curled up under the covers with him. She had slept there every night after that. For she could only let her mind rest when she was near him.

Eventually, Will had to go back and fight. He had tried to leave early in the morning, so that Zoey wouldn't notice, but she did. She had run down the hallway and grabbed onto his leg. He had kept walking, dragging her along the floor while she cried, asking him not to leave.

"I'll be back," he promised before walking out the door. That was the last time Zoey saw Will.

He never did come back.

Sorry, I hope I didn't make you cry. I cried when I wrote it but that's because he's my character.....sorry