The Fence (Chapter 3)

Chapter 3

"What's the point of that?" Luke asked, after Zoey had explained the lessons she'd had that day. Zoey was sitting on his lap as he pushed the swing with his feet. It had become a tradition to sit on the swing in his yard and talk.

Zoey had just recently turned thirteen and was loving every moment of being a teenager. Luke on the other hand seemed quite disturbed by her new age and every time they met, each time at midnight, he would ask her what she had learnt at school that day. Zoey got the queasy feeling that there was some information that she was missing out on and Luke wasn't going to share it with her.

"Well...I ...umm..," She was stumped by his question. What was the point of her lessons? What were they teaching her? Luke had taught her to question everything she believed in and now she was beginning to wonder what was real.

"It sounds like their training you to be the perfect house wife or somethi....," he broke off and there was an awkward silence as he looked away from her.

Luke was almost eighteen now. In fact tomorrow he would be officially an adult. Her brother had left last year, but refused to tell her where he was going. As Luke's birthday drew nearer, he had increased the time they spent together and now tonight was the night before his birthday.

The silence continued. Zoey looked up at the moon and sighed, "I guess it's time I went home,"

Luke's grip on her waist tightened. She laughed, "We'll see each other again tomorrow night. It's not like it's actually goodbye,"

"Yeah," Luke replied, but it sounded like he didn't quite believe it. "Well goodbye, Zoey," he said, and then he turned around and walked towards his house. Zoey watched him until he closed the door. He never once looked back. And when the door closed, it sounded like a final note, a final note that Zoey didn't want to hear.