Chapter 12 "If you want a bit of love put your head on my shoulder, It's cool"

The car stopped a few blocks away from my house and Niall turned in his seat. 

"Valerie what's bugging you?" Niall asked turning in his seat and staring at me. I looked at my nails as if they were the most interesting thing in the world and shrugged my shoulders. 

"Nothing, and it's Valeria," I corrected him. Niall groaned and ran his fingers through his blonde hair. 

"Like seriously, shut up with that. We've been best friends for four months now and I refuse to call you by your real name, its basically one of the rules in the 'Best Friends Handbook'." 

"Oh yeah? Well we're not best friends anymore so you can forget about that rule and you broke the number one rule in that handbook," I snorted. Niall stood quiet then and tapped on the steering wheel nervously. 

"I'm sorry Val," he said ignoring my little speech, "I just didn't know how to tell you, and believe me, I wanted to." 

"You have no idea how much you hurt me Niall and sorry is just a word. If you were really my best friend you should've told me that you were fooling around with my sister. I didn't care if you sent it to me via text message or left me a voicemail in French saying that you were with my sister. You. Still. Should've. Told. Me." 

"I know, and I really regret not telling you Val. I didn't plan on you finding out this way either. You're my best friend and I didn't mean to hurt you. I just wanna start fresh again or have another chance, please? Come on Val, you know I love you with all my heart and I didn't mean it." 

I hated how easy it was to forgive Niall. And no matter how many times he got me upset, I always caved in. He was never gonna love me the way I loved him and it hurt me, but all I really wanted was his happiness. The only thing that bothered me was that he was finding his happiness with my sister, who I loved with all my heart, but wasn't right for him. 

"Do you remember the time when you first met my sister and I thought you liked her then?" 

Niall thought long and hard then nodded his head. 

"Were you telling me the truth when you said you didn't like her?" 

"Yeah I was. I know you think it's weird then that I like her now, but I didn't back then, I swear Val. It's just that being on summer vacations from school and spending more time at your house, I guess I kind of got used to being around her. And the more time you spent dating Ed, the more time I spent with Jasmine, and then...well you know the rest." 

I nodded my head and sighed. "All's forgiven Niall. Look we really don't have to talk about it at home, I just wanna forget this whole night, okay?" 

Niall beamed at me and nodded his head. "Yeah whatever you want. I'm just so glad you don't hate me!" 

"I could never hate you Niall," I answered honestly. He laughed and drove us home again. 

"Hey maybe you should spend the night at my house, so you know, things won't be awkward at home," Niall suggested. 

"I don't know, I think Jasmine might get jealous." 

"Nah, she's cool. She never takes our stuff seriously." 

"Um, alright, just let me grab some things from home and I'll be back," I said with a smile. 

"Hurry up!" he said honking his horn. I rolled my eyes and ran up the steps to my house. I ran inside and when I made it upstairs to my bedroom Jasmine scared me. 

"Ahhh! What the hell are you doing on my bed?!" I asked in a high-pitched voice. Jasmine laughed and moved out of my way as I yanked things from my closet and dresser. 

"Waiting for you stupid! I wanted to talk to you and explain what happened back there. Valerie I love you so much and I know that sorry is just a word but-" 

"Hey, everything's cool between us. Niall explained everything, don't worry," I said laughing, "and I approve of whatever it is you two have going on. You both seem smitten with each other." 

Jasmine smiled but said nothing. "Thanks, so I'm going to bed now and I take it that you're sleeping over Niall's?" 

"Yeah, could you let mom know where I'm at if she asks?" 

"Of course, happy birthday Val." 

"Happy birthday Jas," I said giving her a quick hug. I ran back outside and over to Niall's house, since he parked his car in his garage already. Their front door was unlocked so I closed it behind me and walked over to Niall's bedroom. 

He was sitting on his computer doing something with his webcam and then grinned at me. 

"I've got one more gift for you," he said in a sing-song voice. I quirked an eyebrow and slipped on my pajama pants underneath my dress. 

"And what might that be?" 

"This." He turned the webcam towards me and on the bottom corner of the screen I saw myself, but on the bigger screen I saw Ed. 

"Aw Niall," I breathed and felt my eyes water. He got my boyfriend to skype me on my birthday and Ed was laughing. 

"Hey gorgeous," he said looking a bit tired. 

"Hi babe, what are you doing? Didn't you just perform tonight? You should be getting rest." 

"I know, but I just wanted to see your face and apologize for not wishing you a happy birthday. I wanted to do it sooner, but was busy, and then Niall rang me up forcing me to make time for you and I did." 

Niall had left the room and it was only Ed and I alone. 

"Well thank you, it means a lot to me. I miss you and can't wait till you get back." 

"I know Val, but only three more weeks and I'll be back before you know it. I miss you and can't wait to see you either," he said with a yawn. I giggled and smiled. 

"Hey you should go to bed now and don't protest. I'm happy that you called but I want you to be energized for your next performance. Goodnight." 

"Goodnight Val and sweet dreams." 

"You too." We ended the call and Niall knocked on the door. 

"Are you done being all lovey-dovey?" he asked. 

"Yeah, come in." I had already changed into my pajamas and brushed my teeth. Niall came in with a bowl of ice cream and offered some to me. 

"So how was it?" he asked eating loudly. 

"Great, he's almost coming home soon and I felt happy seeing him," I said with a dreamy sigh. Niall made a disgusted looking face and I smacked him with a pillow. 

"Oh shut up! I'm going to bed now, night Niall." 

"Night Val." I normally slept on his floor with a sleeping bag while he slept on his bed, but this time he carried me bridal-style and unceremoniously, tossed me on the bed. I was still asleep in my sleeping bag, but he shared blankets with me and snuggled up with me. I fell asleep with my head on his shoulder and could faintly smell the scent of vanilla ice cream when he breathed softly.