Chapter 5

I can feel Gracie's body shaking under my arms and her quite whimpers fill the room. Her skin is hot and clammy but she just keeps complaining of being so cold. I wish I knew what to do. I'm so scared. I can't imagine losing her. I know we will be separated if I took her to a hospital. I don't even know where one is. I try to think hard about what to do.

I remember on a movie once, this girl had to help her boyfriend after he over dosed. She just kept giving him water and watching him. She wouldn't let him sleep. I crawl away from Grace and go get a water bottle. It may just be a movie but it's all I have to go on.

God I'm so useless. I cant even help my best friend. Why cant she find some one better than me?Some one who knows what they are doing!

I sit back down and lift Gracie's head up.

"Grace, it's gonna be okay." I say as I try to get her to drink some water.

She gets a little down then tries to talk.

"Ans... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to... I..." she stops and closes her eyes.

"Grace look at me," I gently touch her face "you have to stay awake okay. Just for a little while. Until I know your okay."

She nods her head and I curl back up beside her and stroke her hair. She's so fragile right now. It's scary. I've never seen this side of her before.

I know that she can't go back home. I also know that she can't stay here either. Neither can I. I've been ignoring the notes left by the rent man. I got the eviction letter a few days ago. It's only a small amount of time before I'll be kicked out. I know tomorrow we will have to leave. At least we have the old house to go back to. I just don't know how were going to do it. Neither of us have a job and I'm the only one with a licence. We've been through a lot but this is big.

What if Gracie doesn't even make it through the night? If I lose my best friend... I couldn't go on.. I couldn't live with out her. She's all I have.

Suddenly Gracie flips over and looks at me, "Its going to be okay." She says as if she's been listening to my very thoughts.

I force a smile and nod my head. I hope she's right. She's always been so optimistic. I don't understand it. She loves her dad so much and I hate his guts. She even sees the good in me. I'll never understand how.

She's shaking less now and seems to be calming down and resting. I look up at the clock, it's 6 am now. I lay down and lay Gracie's head down onto a pillow. I wrap the blanket tight around her leaving none for me. She seems to be asleep and I wonder if I should wake her. She seems okay though. I throw my arm over her and snuggle up beside her.

I whisper out loud as if she could hear me in her dream, "Don't ever scare me like that again.. I love you so much."

I curl up in a ball and finally close my eyes. Tomorrows going to be a long day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to see Gracie lying awake in my bed.

"How do you feel?" I ask as I sit up and run my fingers through my hair.

"Kind of like I've been hit by a train." she laughs a little but then stops and frowns a bit.

"At least you're okay. That's all that matters. You scared me." 

I know," she says as she rolls over and looks up at me, "I'm sorry. Thank you for being there. If it wasn't for you..."

"just shut up," I say, "I don't want to hear it. You're okay now. No more talk about it."

Gracie nods and walks to the kitchen.