Chapter 23

• Dedicated to Anyone Who Has Ever Been A Victim Of Domestic Violence

POV ANSLEY

As I bend over her grave and touch the newly made tomb stone chills go down my spine. I wont cry anymore. I promised myself that. I promised Gracie that. Sammy and Kim come over to me and bend down beside me and the three of us hold hands.

I remember the things that Gracie taught me. She showed me how to laugh even when everything is hard. She showed me the beauty in everything. She taught me how to love and she taught me how to forgive. Now every time I hear her name, Ill always think if her courage.

She'll never leave my heart. She has never left my side. I just hope that one day I can be more like her. I close my eyes and let all of our memories dance around my head. From the day we met as children, to just the other day when I cradled her lifeless body in my arms. All of the memories may not be too sweet and may not be the best but in every memory there's always one good thing: She was there.

I never thought Id truely understand the way that Gracie saw things and honestly, Ill never be able to fully comprehend what she was able to see. Whatever it was, it was different. It was beautiful. I never thought one person could change me, could effect me in so many ways. I never thought that we would grow into the friends we became.

I would never change it for the world. Not even the bad. She taught me that even the bad things in life that we go through will teach us something new. That everything happens for a reason even if we don't understand why. I don't know if Gracie really truly wanted to have to give up her life so that we could have a better one, but I know in her heart she felt it was necessary. I know that now, because of her, three different people will have a better life, not because she's gone but because of the reason she left.

Mrs.Kim decided she would come live with Sammy and I. She said she couldn't bare to live in that house any longer. She is also planning to divorce John and file a restraining order the moment he's released from jail. Sammy is going to go off to college soon and intern at a big shot law firm. Sammy never did get to tell Gracie that she applied there, but at least she knows now. As for me,I'm going to go back to school. A new school, some where that no one knows my name and no one knows my story. I promised Gracie I would move on and this is the best way for me to do it. Ill finish up where I left off and carry on for her.

Oh, and Gracie, if youre listening.. because of you and what happened, theyre making a new law. Its called The Gracie Law. It goes to court on Monday. Its a strict, more enforced child safety law. So, maybe, because of you, other children like us will have a chance at a better life. So I take back what I said, you didnt just change three lives, you changed more than you could ever imagine.

Oh, and Gracie.. I love you. Thank you for everything you taught me. Thank you for everything you have ever done for me. You're the very best friend I could ever have. I hope that one day, I will see you again. But one thing I will always know, is that you're always right here where it matters... in my heart.

So, maybe Ill never truly know what Gracie saw. How she saw everything but because of her, I have opened my eyes along with so many other people. The inspiration she is to me has made me a better person. I'm a better person for having ever known her.

I set a single rose at the foot of her tombstone and touch her name. She deserves a million beautiful red roses, but instead I offer her one. She would appreciate that more. I give her a single red rose to remind us all, that one rose is all it takes to create something beautiful. To make something so much better.

I touch my hand to my heart and feel the beat. I look up into the sky and close my eyes. I know now, that it was beauty in the eyes of Gracie.

     Gracie M. Anderson

     5/11/95 - 12/14/11

 Beloved Daughter And Friend

    A Single Rose on The

   Stepping Stones of Life,

   Gone With The Breeze But

    Forever In Our Hearts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The national domestic violence Hot line receives more than 23,500 calls a month from victims, survivors, friends and family members, law enforcement personnel, domestic violence advocates, and the general public. The hot line provides help and supports to any one in a domestic violence situation. It is said that one in every four women will experience a domestic violence in their life time. 73% of family violence victims are females: 84% were spousal abuse victims and 86% were at the hands of their boyfriend. Approximately 702,000 children were victims of maltreatment in the year of 2009. 75% were neglected, over 15% were abused, 10% were sexually abused and a little under 10% were psychologically abused. Nearly 5 children die in the United states every day due to abuse and neglect. If you or a friend, or some one you know are victims of a domestic violence, be the change in their life, call the national hot line at 1-800-799-7233 and get help.