Chapter 17

• Dedicated to Sammy Clark

POV ANSLEY

I enter the court room with Sam by my side and Gracie sitting in the first row. I pull my shirt down. It was the nicest I could find. Sammy's wearing some business looking outfit and wearing her glasses. She looks mature. 

"Are all accounted for?" The judge asks as she sits down. 

"Yes your honor." Our assigned attorney answers. 

"Let the case of Ansley Berrodo's and Sammy Clark's Guardian Custody Case now begin." The Judge bangs her mallet on the table, "I have other cases that need attending to as well so if we could get this done speedily that would be marvelous."

"Miss Berrodo," the state attory says, "will you please step up to the stand, we have a few questions to ask before we call Miss Clark up." 

I stand and walk up to the podium and get ready to take the oath. 

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, or help me God?" the balliif asks me as I place my hand on the Bible. 

"Yes sir," I answer. "I do." 

Miss Berrodo, or Ansley if I may," My attorney asks and I nod my head, "how do you feel about Miss Clark?" 

"I love her," I say, "shes one if the best people you could ever meet." 

"And have you enjoyed living with her the past few weeks?" 

"Yes sir." 

"Would you say that Miss Clark is around a lot?" 

"Yes sir. She is always home unless she has a job to do." 

The attorney looks at me puzzled, "Ansley, you say 'home' like you already are under her custody as a family, why is that?" 

"Because," I smile, "we are a family whether you guys give her legal custody or not." 

The attorney smiles back and looks at the judge, "No further questions your honor. Ansley you may sit back down." 

"Miss Clark," the states attorney says as he stands to his feet, "if you would approach the stand." 

Sammy silently stands and walks up to the stand as the bailiff pulls out a bible and she places her hand on it. She looks at our attorney and then looks at me. 

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, or help me God?"  

"I do." 

"Now Miss Clark," the state attorney begins, "would you say that Ansley is safe with you and that you can provide financial and emotional support to her, if so why?" 

Sammy looks around, "Yes sir. She is safe with me. I can provide both financial and emotional support for her. In fact, I already do." 

"And do you have proof of employment?"

"I do." Sammy pulls out some documents and the bailiff retrieves them and brings them to the judges stand.

The judge looks over them for a moment.

"You make $17 dollars an hour?" The judge asks.

"That's correct, mam. I know it isn't a lot but it is plenty to get us by."

The state attorney continues with his questions.

"I understand that you are a manger at a gas station? That's an awful lot of pay for such a low job."

Sammy shakes her head, "I don't appreciate your judgement, sir. If you don't mind me saying, I work hard for my money and there is no need to down grade my job. I work a lot of different positions and hours so that is why my job pays $17 dollars an hour but yes. I am a manger."