Chapter 12

I finally come to a stop and catch my breath from all the running. The tears stream down my face and I collapse onto the ground and curl up beside the tree. I look behind me to see if Sammy and Gracie caught up but they haven't. I throw my head into my hands let the hopelessness turn into tears and sob uncontrollably.

My whole body shakes as my tears soak my hand and I I gasp for breath. I'm crying so hard now that I feel like I'm choking. What began as a silent flood of tears has become a hysterical and uncontrollable reign of tears. I can feel more and more hot tears fill up my eyes as the lump in my throat grows larger and larger.I can feel my heart beating faster and faster, harder and harder. 

Blindsided, I feel a body tackle me. I look up as the tears stream down my face and Gracie grabs me up and holds me as Sammy kneals down and rubs my back.

"Shhhh... Sweety. Don't cry. Please. Shhhh..." Gracie's soft voice echoes in my ear as she slowly rocks me back and forth.

"We heard the message, Ans." Sammy starts off, "Its okay, its going to be okay. Nothings going to happen hun."

I shake my head as I continue to cry. Nothings going to help. Nothings going to stop this. I have to stop this. I can't drag anyone down with me. 

I look up and wipe the tears away from my eyes. Gracie helps me up and hugs me tight.

"Nothing will happen. I swear." Gracie tries to reassure me.

"Youre right," I agree "Im going to beat him to it."

"Ansley don't talk like that. You can't leave us. You can't do that. I won't let you!" Sammy screams as she grabs my arm.

"Shes right," Gracie says "You're going to be okay. I won't let you hurt yourself. I can't lose you, don't you understand that?"

"You don't understand," I look at the both of them and breath out, "I'm going to get to him, before he can get to me..."

The two of them look at me as their eyes widen and their jaws drop.

"Ansley.." Gracie begins, "You're.."

"Youre not a killer," Sammy finishes off Gracie's sentence "I know you. You could never do that."

"Don't y'all understand? He's going to come for me. He doesn't care about y'all or me. If you two are in his way, he's going to kill y'all too." I say as turn around and look across the meadow.

"Thats a chance we will have to take, Ans." Gracie puts her hand on my shoulder as she steps beside me.

Sammy puts her hand on my shoulder too, "I'm not going to leave you two now. I can't. If something were to happen to the two of you, I could never forgive myself." 

We stand there looking at the meadow together as we gaze into the sky. Its great to have both of my best friends back. I wonder what they're both thinking. I know in my heart that some where down the line, some ones going to lose. Some ones going to have to die. I hope to God it isn't either of them. 

--------------------------------------- 

POV SAMMY

I look up at the clock on the wall and just stare. Mesmerized by the constant tick. I watch the second hand make it's way to the 12 again. Another minute passes without a single word. Normally this kind if silence would drive me crazy but it's relaxing here. I look down at the fire and then over to Ansley. She stares blankly at the wall. I wonder what she's thinking.

I know deep down she really does want to kill her dad but right above that, she just wants to hug him. She just wants to hear him say he loves her. I look at Gracie too, her eyes are filled with worry. I know she is scared. Scared of losing Ansley. Scared of what's to come. She won't show it though. She won't let her guard down. 

It's funny because all three of us use to be the best of friends but then I moved. I just recently moved back to live with my aunt and uncle. I wonder if they're having a good time in New York. They own some kind of corporation up there and they stay gone a lot. I'm cool with it. It gives me freedom. I think about how close Ansley, Gracie and I were. Almost inseparable.

Even though I just turned 18 an theyre going on 17 now, when we were in grade school, and i was always a grade ahead of them, we were still best friends. The very best. Nothing kept us apart. I still love them both. I guess I've just seperated myself from them the past few months. It's nothing personal. I've seperated myself from everyone. 

Something inside me just won't rest. It has been bubbling with in me for months now. I fight it off but I just can't shake it. I feel empty. I hadn't felt anything real until the other day in the hospital. I look over at Gracie and notice the bruises that still remain on her body. I had never felt so scared before when I saw her lying there so limp and helpless. 

I look at her now and I see a faint smile on her face. I don't know what she has to be smiling about but it makes me feel warm and happy. It makes me feel hopeful. Still, I don't see how she is smiling right now when she has every reason in the world to be frowning. 

---------------------------------------- 

POV GRACIE

I look over at my two favorite people in the world and smile. Something just feels right. It feels like for once everything will be okay. I curl up beside Ansley and look at her. She looks back and smiles too. I look up at Sammy and see her smiling as well. It's almost like one big cheesy movie. It's like were all thinking the same exact thing at the same exact time. 

I don't know what life has in store for us, but I'm fairly certain that with these two by my side we can get through it. I hear Ansleys dads message repeating over and over in my head. Words so harsh that no one could fix the pain. I hear him threaten her in my head. Ill do anything to protect her. I'll do anything to keep her safe. To keep us all safe.

I swear to myself that no matter what happens, I won't give up. Not on myself, not on Ansley, not on Sammy, and not even on my dad. I wonder about my parents.. I know they obviously don't miss me. If they did they would have come looking for me by now. It's okay though. I accept that. 

I feel Ansley move beside me and I glance up at her but she's sound asleep. I look over at Sammy too but she's curled up on the other side of Ansley sleeping like a rock. I reach over and grab a blanket and throw it over the three of us. They're so peaceful. They almost look happy. I think some where in them they are. I know some where in me, I am too.

What more could I ask for? I have both of my best friends laying with me, finally reunited. Things may not be perfect. But right now, my reality is becoming nothing more or less than a perfect nightmare.