Chapter 49- Prom Friday, June 5, 2015

*Flashback*

I was playing with a then, three months old Danny, in the living when I overheard mom and Melly talk in the kitchen. Something about prom made my ears perk up.

"No, I'm not going to prom." Melly said.

"Why not? It's an one time experience of a lifetime, you should go." Mom encouraged.

I turned my head to my left to see Melly sitting down by the kitchen counter, eating a fruit salad. Her fork moved around the bowl, but never lifting it up to her mouth. She looked a bit annoyed, seeing as lot of people probably has asked her the same thing. I also knew that she was on her menstrual cycle, meaning that she was extra cranky that day.

"I have Danny to take care of. I can't leave him for one night." She sighed, her silver utensil, hitting against the glass.

"You always take care of Danny, though. And it is the one night you should cherish with your school mates, because that is basically your last day of being a high school student. After Monday, it's all over." Mom told her, sitting next to her.

My mother was really good to her. She always viewed her as the daughter she never had, cherishing the young girl as she explores the world with her son. In fact, I think she was more supportive of me and Melly than she was with John and Debbie. I mean, she was still supportive, but she knew that we had more of a foundation on our relationship than they did in theirs.

"I don't know. I mean I would love to go, but I can't leave him." She said, shaking her head.

I cleared my throat as I looked at the TV, when I saw Melly's head turn towards me and Danny. I turned towards her to see she was still staring at me. I gave her a small grin, before turning back towards the screen, grabbing the remote to flip the channel.

I heard mom sighed. "I know it's hard to see that there's a life beyond your child. I know that too well. However, you can't stop your life for him. It's important to me that even though you're a mother, you still act like a normal teenager every once in awhile. You've done a really good job in raising him for the past three months. I can tell that you could use a break. Let prom be that for you. You're only young for so long. Praise it."

The house was silent excluding the sound of silverware clinking against the plate as we waited for Melly to say something. I looked at her to see that she's clearly thinking of her options over in her head. Even Danny kept silent as if he wanted to know if his mother will leave him or not.

After a few minutes of debating, she finally said, "Fine. I'll go."

"Yes!" Mom cheered at the fact that she got the girl to be 'normal' for once.

"Go ahead, you can cheer too." Melly said, waving a hand at my direction.

I took that as a green light to fist pump into the air.

"Yes!" I said.

Finally, I get to hang out with my fiance. Away from the baby, of course. It will start by properly inviting her to prom with me.

{_}

So on Monday, I spoke to the marching band at school, telling them my plan to ask Melly to prom and exactly I want it to go. They all agreed to work with me, the girls and a few guys telling me that 'I'm so romantic' and 'they wish that I was their boyfriend'. I playfully rolled my eyes at their comments as I was just grateful of the fact that they're helping me. We've rehearsed every single day after school, making sure we get everything right. We were ready on Friday. So during lunch time, the percussionists drummed their way to the courtyard followed by the trumpets playing the tune of "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane.