Chapter 7- Telling Her Parents Sunday, May 25, 2014

We walked inside of Melly's house. She looked around her red living room before yelling for her parents.

To be honest, I'm scared for her. Being an only child, her parents are a little strict. Granted, they were always trying to protect her from her. They they her best to educate her to keep something like this from happening. But now that we've actually made it to this point, I can only imagine the outcome. I've got a feeling that this won't work as well as it did with my family.

Mrs. Martinez rushed out of the kitchen just as her husband came from a room upstairs.

"Melly, are you okay?" Mrs. Martinez asked, with worry filling her eyes.

"Did this boy hurt you?" Mr. Martinez said, with his Hispanic accent.

I had to give him a look. Seriously? He has known me for sixteen years and he thinks I would be violent with his daughter? Please, I'd rather kill myself before even thinking that.

"No, no, no, no, no." Melly said, failing her arm in disapproval. She then raised the blue and green bag in their eyes. "We've got a surprise for you?"

Oh, it's a surprise, alright.

Her mom looked at her daughter carefully. "What-what.."

"Please sit down." Melly said, pointing to the sofa for her parents. She had a smile on her face, but I know she doesn't have the patience today. She just want to get this over with.

Her smile dropped as her parents did as they were told. She sat on the seat next to it. She tried to make room for me, but I kindly denied it. I am perfectly fine with standing up. We won't be here long anyway.

"Open this." Melly said, giving her the bag.

Melly's mother gave her the same look my mother gave me as she took the plastic bag from her daughter. Mrs. Martinez looked at Melly one more time before digging inside the bag for the 'present'. I mean to us this is a gift, I don't know about them.

I heard Mrs. Martinez gasp in shock as she pulled the framed sonogram out of the bag. By the way her face looked, she doesn't seem too happy. I wouldn't be either if I were in her spot, but this isn't too kind.

"Melly." She said, looking at her daughter for a confirmation. It always gets to me how exactly they look like each other.

"Yes, mom and dad." Melly said, "I'm pregnant."

She said it so casually though. As if this happened all the time. She looked at her mother as she analyzed the two month old fetus.

"You put your hands on my daughter!" Mr. Martinez yelled at me.

I responded with an eye roll. Like anyone else would sleep with her? Don't get me wrong, Melly is freakin' hot. I have noticed the kind of stares my girlfriend gets in the hallway at school by the guys during our few of years in high school. It's just a matter if I'd let those guys talk to her, let alone put their filthy hands on her. And I trust Melly too much to know she wouldn't let them touch her.

But yeah, I put my hands on her Mr. Martinez. And it felt freakin' awesome. I mentally smiled to myself at that.

"Now is not the time, Derek." I told myself.

"We both did. We were both willing to have—-" Melly said, defending me before her mother cut her off.

"But you're only sixteen! You shouldn't be pregnant."

My thoughts exactly, But what are we going to do about it?

"What were you thinking when you've let this kid see your bare body? I'll tell you what you were thinking, you weren't thinking at all, that's what you were thinking!" Her father shouted.

She knows that sir, but she doesn't need to hear that right now.

"Honestly, Melina, how could you be so irresponsible?" Her mom said.

Melly just responded with an eye roll. Same, Melly, same.

"Melly, I'm afraid we're going to have to make you decide between staying with us by saying good-bye to Derek—we'll help you out with your baby—or go with him and you'll be out of this house and our lives forever." Her father said.

"What?" Melly asked in shocked.

"Guys, guys, guys. She's your only daughter." I tried to reason with them. They're totally out of line. They can't be that serious.

"We know." Her dad said, not seeming to take back what he said.

"But she made an adult decision, she must live with the consequences. That's how the world works." Her mother said, bluntly.

"But mom. dad." Melly said, weakly. She looked like a helpless puppy being put down.

I mentally face palmed myself in shame. I knew that this wouldn't end well.

"Sorry, but it's either us or the boy." Her mom said, coldly. She crossed her arms across her chest.

I looked at my girlfriend, desperately. I definitely feel guilty for putting in her position. I really wish there could be any other way for her. Melly doesn't deserve to lose her parents or boyfriend due to a baby. If anything, she needs both our support and cooperation. This is not good for her or her mental health. This is especially not good for the baby.

But we are here and the question is in the air; who will Melly choose?

Melly looked from her parents to me as she bit her lip.