Chapter 19: He Wants Me...To Be Bait

My eyes flutter open and the raw sunlight blinds me. I grumble to myself and push my comforter aside, swinging my legs over the edge of my bed and grudgingly getting out of it. Grabbing a light blue terrycloth robe and putting it on, I trudge to the kitchen and pour myself a bowl of cereal.

L was eating a bowl of ice cream. Matt was eating Captain Crunch. And Haru was chowing down on a pack of Poptarts.

"GOOD MORNING, PAMELA!" Haru shouted in his usual playful tone.

I grunt in reply and take a bite of cereal. "Why must you bug me right now, Haru?" I mumble

"What do you mean? You don't like that nickname?"

"No."

"Well I do! Pamela, Pamela, PAMELA!!"

"Haru, shut up!!!" I finally shout at him.

"Geez, Aurora, calm down. Are you PMSing or something? What's wrong?" Matt asked, watching me with his peripheral vision.

I ignore him and play with the small, colorful pieces of cereal in my bowl, pushing them around.

He turns towards me and frowns. "Seriously, though, what's wrong?"

I avoid looking at him and sigh. "Matt, don't speak to me."

"Why? What did I do?" He asks, his voice sounding apologetic and reflective.

I force a laugh. "You don't know? You know what, I'll spare you the trouble of figuring out. We're through, Matt."

His mouth drops open in surprise, and he frowns. "Is this about last night? Because you can't get mad!"

"I can't get mad!? Try again, buddy!" I reply coldly. I growl angrily and get out of my chair, using my vectors to grab the bowl of cereal and slam it on the ground. The bowl shattered into tiny pieces and I stomped out of the room.

'Geez, what a dick. He's totally changed since I first met him.' I hurry to my room, slamming the door and sprawling out on my queen-size bed.

'So much has happened lately,' I think to myself, 'Light tried to kill me, Haru moved in and I broke up with Matt. And I still need to tell L about Light...if he'll believe me.' I groan at my train wreck of a love life. I don't know what happened to Matt, but he wasn't the same Matt that I knew.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance and let my mind wander to other things, like Light and the fact that he tried to kill me. 'Damn it...I've got to tell L about that.' I get off my bed and open my door, only to run face first into L's chest. "Oomph," I grunt, "uh, hello, L. May I ask what the hell you're doing outside my room?"

L raises his hands in surrender. "I was just about to open your door and make sure you were alright but if it's that big of a deal then I can leave."

I grab his shoulders. "No! Don't leave...okay? I'm sorry. I guess I'm still angry about last night, and I'm taking it out on you. In fact, this whole week has got me fed up. So, I apologize."

"What has happened this week that's so bad?"

I shrug, "Nothing much."

L crosses his arms. "What happened?"

I sigh, "It's nothing really. The really the only thing you should know is that Light tried to shoot me-"

"Wait, what? Light tried to shoot you? When?"

"I don't know. A few days ago?"

"And you're just now telling me this?"

I sigh, "Yes. I didn't exactly know how to tell you, L. And, besides, I've been sort of distracted recently. I'm sure you've heard about the break up?"

L nods slowly. "Indeed. I overheard Matt talking about it with Mello. Sounded like a very intense conversation."

"Did you happen to catch what they were talking about?" I ask curiously.

L shakes his head. "No, not exactly. But I did hear your name a few times."

I swallow nervously and change the subject. "So, any new leads on the Kira case?"

L groans, "Don't get me started on that. There haven't been any new victims lately leaving me sitting here wondering what he's waiting for."

"Hmm...that must be pretty irritating, right?"

"Yes. Very. And quite boring also."

"So what are you going to do about that?" I ask.

"Actually, I'm glad you asked that. I was wondering if you would consider joining us in our mission to bring Kira down," L offers.

I stare at him, absorbing his statements. L, the greatest detective in the world, is asking me to join his team? "Um...why would you want me to join?"

"Well, you see Aurora, you're a Diclonius so you're nearly indestructible. So you can help us get closer to our suspects. Maybe even draw his attention."

"I'd be happy to help," I say, not realizing what he wanted me to do. He wanted me to be bait.

~{A/N Hey! I just wanted to apologize to all my fans who have been waiting for two months for this shitty, thrown together chapter. I am soooooo sorry!!! I will definitely try to update more. Of course it would help alot if I got some helpful feedback *wink nudge wink* anyways, I love you guys!! Thank you!!}~