Chapter Six

Emily had to pause half-way into the room from the window as she encountered Haytham shirtless, her heart pounding at the thought of him being so... ripped than she was used to and had to remember how to breathe as she started to finish her climb into the room. "Emily, I won't ask again." He stated before she could gain her voice, "I went out."

"Out? Where?" he walked over, making her feel uncomfortable. "I met someone." This nearly made him go into a raging fit. "Why do you want to know?"

"Because you disappear in the middle of the night and then bloody climbing through the window. Emily, you could've gotten killed!" This is where her own backbone from being a young child came back into place, "It's none of your damn business, Hankie. If you didn't hide it well, it looks like you're scared." 

Haytham pulled her against him and then against the wall. In his own fear of learning of her climbing through the window to leave, it was her not returning that truly scared him. With a gasp, Emily felt her back hit the wall, her head lifted and then his lips covered hers. Haytham kept his feelings at bay, before pulling away, not knowing if she was just as affected by it as he. "I need to-"

"Haytham," she reached out, and took his hand, "Don't go because of me. I will find somewhere else to stay."

"Emily, no. You can stay, but I need to cool off," he took his hand back from her and went out of the room and downstairs to walk out of the inn, the cold air hitting his chest and his head, trying to take the feel of Emily's body and lips out of his mind. 

OoO

Emily sat on her bed and had her head in her hands, embarrassed and nearly groaning with how her body betrayed her with one simple kiss... it wasn't even a kiss since there was no passion or no heat to it, but only him pressing his lips to hers. If she had told him the truth, he would probably kill her on the spot, not to question her actions. 

Ten minutes after he left, Haytham came back in, not taking a glance at her, and took his boots off before laying down in his bed. Emily silently cried til she fell asleep, knowing that her actions of letting the Assassins know that she was in Boston, if only one catches her with Haytham, she would be dead. 

OoO

The next day, Haytham was just starting to wake up when he noticed someone next to him. He opened his eyes to see Emily, asleep and curled right next to him with her head on his chest. He didn't remember having her in his bed last night, so how-

Emily stirred a bit and he couldn't wake her up. Maybe later I will ask her, Haytham stated to himself before he lifted her a bit to get up fully. While putting on his boots, he heard her soft, sleepy voice behind him, "Do you hate me?"

"No, I was only worried about you. You have to know, if you meet anyone else who are apart of the Assassins that you will be killed, no questions asked, and last night... I was scared that this morning I would find you-" He couldn't stop himself from having a single tear shed. He's gone through lengths, hell, even risking his own life to keep her safe and to have her throw it away just made him upset with her. 

"Haytham," a hand touched his arm as he refused to look at her. "I didn't mean to be so rash with my decision. Just.. one knows that I am with you, but the mentor doesn't." She had to tell him, before her own guilt ate at her feelings. "I made him promise that I wouldn't have to see you get killed by me or anyone else." 

"You told someone?" He looked at her and then got truly angry, he pushed her against the wall, "Emily, him knowing will be the death of both of us, you know that?" Her shocked face made his nightmare a reality. "'Never compromise the brotherhood' is the tenant. I grew up with it, Em. You going to say that your friend is a Templar is our death sentence. Does he know you're here?"

"No, he took off before I even got to Boston." She managed to get out. Haytham stared at her and she nearly couldn't stand to look at him, she had to turn her head. "Em," he touched her cheek before she got to look at him. "I promise never to hurt or to let harm come to you. But I have to go for a little bit."

"Where?" she asked, her eyes looking up towards him. He couldn't help himself and lightly kissed her soft mouth. "I need to do something, don't worry as I promise to always come back to you." And he left. 

Emily thought about what he had said and then writing a letter, she nearly cried when she finally signed it. 

            Haytham,
I know you have done much for me and I thank you for it, but I can't let you get hurt for my stupidity. I wish this was easier for me to do, though it's a lot harder than I thought at first. Just know that I am going to always be with you and won't give anything for what I spent with you. Until this all dies down, I need to keep you safe by leaving for another town on the coast. I will always think of you.

Emily

She finished the letter and taking her things, left the knife she had the day before and walked out of the room, William Johnson looked at her as he asked, "Lass, where are you going?"

"I'm leaving for my grandmother's." She lied, it was getting easier for her to do and stared at him, "If he tries to follow me, I will hurt him." Then Emily left. 

Haytham returned that night, and seeing the note, threw it into a fireplace, his heart torn and he wanted to chase after her. "Don't chase after her, Grandmaster. Told me that she would hurt ya more than she intended to." Johnson noted and he shook his head, "If you see her, take her captive."

OoO

Emily got to the homestead, and seeing Shay, said, "Is that offer for me to stay open?" He gave a smile and then whispered, "What about your friend?"

"I'd rather protect him this way if I stay with the Assassins and stay away from him." She said, unshed tears gleamed in her eyes. "It's for the best." And each time she thought of the note, her heart broke a little more. It's for the best

A.N: (A bit of a spoiler if you haven't played Rogue or AC3 at all). A lot shorter than the last chapter and I hope I got a bit of a point across. I will let you know that I will have the next chapter  will be when Shay leaves the Order in 1756, about a year after Ziio and Haytham hooked up and created Connor. I will be picking up the next chapter at the part where Shay returns from Lisbon. Happy reading and thank you for putting up with my lengthy updates!