Chapter Three

On the ship for the third day on the Atlantic Ocean, Emily looked around and tried to figure out what had happened at the Opera House just days before. Did Haytham really kill that man? If so, why would he do that? Emily would never know until she talked to him face to face. He knew her now as Cassandra after he bumped into her, but would he remember her if she came out with her real identity? Wearing her only gown from the Opera House, she gazed out onto the vast sea.

            “Excuse me, who are you?” she recognized the voice and turned around slowly, “Huh? I thought I told you already.”

            “At the Opera House, you never told me who you were?” he asked, crossing his arms behind his back.

            “Oh, I am sorry. I am Miss Cassandra Milner.” holding out her hand, she waited for him to take it.

            “Haytham Kenway. I thought I knew you from when you were younger.” taking her small hand in his, he kissed the knuckles. Once she took her hand away from him, he thought that she did look like her mother.

            “Well, maybe you did, but don't know where.” she pulled her hand close to her body. He could not be trusted. It is Haytham, but that means... “Mister Kenway, when you told me that your father is dead, were you only kidding?”

            “No, I was not, Miss Milner. He died a few days after our family friend was found dead at her home and her daughter taken. The daughter, I do not know what happened to her, but I am guessing now that she is dead as well.” He walked away and Emily was close to tears. Her own mother... Nora with her graying brown hair and her thoughtful blue eyes now closed from the world forever. She couldn't forget the cry her mother gave when the man shot her. The cry scares her when she is in the darkest of nights and she looked at his retreating form, “If.. if you had found the girl, what would you have done?”

            “I am not so sure. Three years after her disappearance, I would have hugged her and told her I was sorry for teasing her so, but now, I am not hopeful that she will ever turn up.” he continued and she followed, going to the cabin she shared with him to write a note that she had learned to talk to him about just like she was a little girl.

            Haytham,

                        So much is happening and the girl you are looking for is not dead, she is alive and right in front of you. I wish you could call me out so I can run into your arms and cry into them. I also wish I had not left all those years ago so I could be the one to keep in your mind. If only I was older and better at hiding my own selfish wants. I was never fit for a princess. You were right. Now I am paying for that mistake. I hope you can forgive me.

                                                                                                            Emily.

             It was now past midnight when he went to his cabin to retire and found Cassandra in his bed, hogging a book to her chest, a tearstain covered her left cheek and he felt a little bad. He took her against her own will, he made her take this trip to Boston with him. While feeling bad, he only took her up in his arms and properly put her under the blankets. The book that was in her hands had fallen onto the floor and he picked it up, seeing the name Haytham, he assumed she was not talking about him and placed it on the desk next to his journal that he writes to his sister Jennifer, or Jenny. Taking off his cape and jacket to only be in his tunic, he slipped into the bed and covered himself with the cape, holding Miss Milner to him.