Chapter 32

Just after 2:30pm I exited the Myer Centre with my hair and makeup complete. I walked cautiously to the car, doing everything in my power to ensure that I didn't ruin my hair or scratch the phantom itch arising on my nose.

I lay my wedding dress carefully in the back seat before lowering myself into the drivers seat. I started the engine and began the drive back to the apartment to get ready for the afternoons... Events.

At around three I pulled into the parking lot in front of the apartment building. Putting the car into park, I carefully removed myself from the car, the afternoon breeze causing my curls to bounce. I lifted the dress out of the back and began making my way up the stairs to the apartment, locking the car behind me.

Fumbling with the key for a solid 2 minutes, I eventually got the door opened and walked into the apartment. Kicking the door shut with my foot and i delicately laid the dress on the couch, making sure not scrunch it in any way.

I looked out onto the balcony at the setting sky and my stomach did a little giddy dance.

I was getting married in less than two hours.

I was abruptly removed from my daydream by a sudden knocking at the door. Furrowing my eyebrows, I walked to the door.

Didn't Whip know it was bad luck to see the bride before the wedding?

Turning the knob to reveal the person standing at my door step I gave a little squeal

"Oh my goodness!"

I enveloped Melissa in a hug "What are you doing here!?" I asked pulling her into the apartment

"Careful.." She smiled, fixing up a strand of hair that had fallen out of place "We don't want to ruin your hair for your special day, do we?"

I ignored her rhetorical question, still ecstatic because of her presence.

"What are you doing here?" I asked once again, not being able to wipe the smile off my face

"Whip gave me call" she smiled

I laughed and then did a little dance. "I'm so nervous!"

"That's to be expected" Mel laughed "Now come on, let's get you into this dress and down that aisle!"

Before helping me into the dress she sat me down on at stool by the breakfast bar and touched up makeup and ensured my hair was still in tact. The afternoon light streamed through as Melissa assisted me in sliding into my dress. The silk of the dress felt soft against my bare legs as Mel carefully tied the ribbon around my waist.

"You look beautiful, Sam"

I smiled looking in the reflection, giving my dress a little swish while fingering the delicate material.

"Whippet is not going to know what to do with himself when he sees you at the end of that aisle"

"You think so?" I asked, turning around to face her, biting my lip

She shook her head, smiling "Honey, I know so"

I gave a little excited squeal "I can't believe this is happening"

"I'm so happy for you, Sam" Melissa smiled, clasping her hands together before bringing me into another hug

"Oh no don't you start crying" I sighed holding her face in my hands. She shook her head trying to force the tears back "I'm not crying..." She sniffed

I smiled

She waved her hand "Let's get your shoes on and down to the beach"

I slipped on my thongs as Mel opened the door.

She turned to me before giving a swift little nod and picking up the tiny trail of my dress. I picked up the front not wanting the dress to touch the ground which we descended our way into the car.

Reaching the car park, our neighbours from apartment 265 gave a sweet "Awww" as they unpacked the groceries from their car. I gave a gentle smile and began moving towards me car. Noticing Mel wasn't following I turned around and gave her a questionable look

"Did you really think I was going to let you arrive at your wedding in a Toyota?" Mel smirked

She then turned her head and nodded to the other side of the car park. I followed her nod to find a sweet little white Volkswagen Beetle convertable with two lengths of white ribbon reaching from the sides of the windshield to meet in the centre of the front of the bonnet.

I looked back at Mel "Really!?" I squeaked, tears pricking my eyes for the hundredth time since I got home

She shook her head smiling "No no no, no tears"

I laughed and forced back the tears before moving to the car. I ran my fingers over the faultless paint as Mel opened the passenger side open for me. I sat in the seat and adjusted the dress around me "So you just happened to have one of these laying around?"

She walked back around to the other side of the car and jumped in the drivers seat. "My brother works for the dealership" she shrugged before bringing the engine to life and reversing out of the car park.

The setting sun was beginning to cast a soft, golden peach glow across the sand as we approached Bondi Beach.

Melissa parked the vehicle out the front of the Bondi Pavilion. Fidgeting with my dress as Melissa ran around to the other side of the car. The evening sea breeze threatened to blow up the hem of her light pink sun dress as she helped me out of the car.

Ecstasy and nerves flowed throughout my body, starting from the pinnacles of my feet and zipping up to the crown of my head. My heart beat against my chest as looked out over the water. The side of The Tower was insight but I couldn't see anything beyond that.

Melissa appeared beside me and placed her hand on my shoulder "You ready?"

I looked towards the Tower and nodded my head, a small smile creeping onto my lips

"Let's do it"

She moved backwards and picked up my skirt.

I then began to walk.