Chapter 5

- Claire's pov -

The sun shined through my blinds waking me from my slumber. I stretched my limbs, sighing as I realize this isn't just a normal day in the Jacob sisters household.

I quickly got dressed then ran down stairs.

I came to conclusion that I will help these boys survive. I can't, I will not, let innocent people die.

I walked into the kitchen to see Hailey making breakfast singing a song I didn't recognize. I was hesitant to talk to her after what had taken place in the last two days.

Unfortunately for me she noticed me standing in the doorway. Her singing stopped and was replaced by a crooked smile, "The boys' food is on the counter. As much as I despise them, I have more planned. Now, go be a good sister and take it to them, then you can come up and have breakfast with me!" She began singing again, only happier.

I belt bile rising in my throat at the thought of her doing anything else to the boys.

"Claire! What did I tell you?!" Her angry voice made me realize I was just staring at the so called "breakfast". "Now don't make me punish you!" She screamed at me.

I jumped and quickly grabbed the tray, scurrying to the basement.

I closed the door quickly, resting my head on it. "What has happened to this family?" I whispered wiping a stray tear away. I covered my emotions and walked down the steps.

I heard whispering as I stepped down the stairs but it stopped as I came into the room the boys were being held in.

Their heads snapped up as I placed the tray onto a table. "Breakfast." I mumbled as I handed out a plate with a piece of toast and mushy looking oatmeal. They looked disgusted by it, but they didn't really have he choice to eat it or not if they didn't want to starve. "I'm sorry for getting you guys into this. I should have done something instead of going through with it." I said to them. Even though they didn't answer I knew they heard me.

I looked up and met Nialls. He looked from me to Zayn who glared at him. He quickly looked back down at his food and shoved some in his mouth.

While the others ate, Zayn spoke up. "I have to use the bathroom." I looked at him debating. What would Hailey do?

I shook the question from my mind, the Hailey upstairs wouldn't do anything good to them.

I untied his legs and grabbed onto his arm to pull him up. "Be quick, I don't even know if I'm allowed to do this." I said as I brought him to the bathroom downstairs.

There was only a toilet, sink, and shower in it. No windows to escape.

I stood there watching the boys. They quietly ate, glancing at each other once in a while. "Is anything wrong?" I asked, even though my sister is crazy doesn't mean I'm anything like her. Which I'm not.

They all looked up, probably surprised by my worrying. They looked behind me some emotion I couldn't make out on their faces.

"Wha-" I was cut off when a strong arm wrapped around my neck. It squeezed tighter and tighter cutting off my air. I struggled to get out if it. My hands grabbed at the arms and started to scratch at the skin. Tears slid down my cheeks as I tried to get air into my lungs.

Through my blurred vision I seen the boys watching, except Liam and Louis who looked else were. Harry had his mouth wide open.

My legs kicked anything, my nails digging into Zayns skin earning a wince of pain from him.

I could feel myself slipping.

I didn't deserve to die. Did I? I thought I didn't but here I am, about to.

My hands started to stop digging at his skin and my legs stopped kicking. His arms tightened one last time making sure I wouldn't make it.

"Claire!" Hailey screamed as she rushed down stairs.

I continued to struggle with Zayn who had let his grasp get a little weaker as he seen Hailey. He surprised me by squeezing harder and screaming at her, "I'll kill her if you come any closer!"

Even if he did, which I doubt with the new psychotic Hailey, it wouldn't bring anything good his way or the boys. I'm Hailey's weakness. Though she doesn't show it barely anymore, I am. I'm the only family she has left. She wouldn't be happy if I was gone.

She glared at him then looked at me, her eyes softening a bit. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out a small silver gun and pointed it at Zayn. "This isn't how things work. You see, I brought you guys here for a reason. That reason is to torture you so you can feel the pain I felt years ago!" She screamed at him.

The boys gaver her confused looks, as did I. I had no idea what happened year sago between them.

"Now if you don't let go of my sister, I will shoot your leg. And I think we all know I will." She stood waiting for him to obey her command. Zayn slightly stiffened at her threat.

A part of me hoped he would let go so he couldn't get hurt, then there was the selfish side of me that wanted him to get hurt since he did try to kill me. Never in my life have I ever wished pain for someone, and the feeling I got just thinking about wanting someone to get hurt scared me.

What if I eventually became another Hailey? Hurting people for my pleasure?

Never, Claire. That is not how Mom and Dad raised you. The small voice in my mind scolded.

I was pulled out of my thought as Hailey barked yet another command. "Zayn! What did I say? Do you want me to treat you to two shots instead of one?" She smiled evilly to herself and scanned his legs. "It does sound better then just one little shoot to the leg. It will stop you from running." She kissed her gun then aimed it at his leg.

"Wait!" I surprised myself at the sudden outburst. Where had that come from?

"Yes, Claire?" She asked me sweetly.

"You can't shoot him now!" I said to her. What am I doing?

She glared at me putting a hand on her hip. "And why not?"

I thought for a moment and stammered with an answer, "Uh, because I feel light headed, and  weak." I put on my best sick face so it would be believable. "Can't you just punish him later and just let him go? I really need to lay down."

She looked thoughtful for a moment, "Yeah okay. I promised Mom I would take care of you. I'm not doing a very good job though." She stared at the ground giving me a chance to look at Zayn.

Let go. It will get you no where. I mouthed to him. He shook his head no. Do you want to get shot? I'm doing this for your safety.

Finally he let go of my body letting me get air into my system better. Hailey quickly pulled herself together and tied him up. She then glared at all the boys, as if telling them not to even try. "Come, lets get you to your room." She grabbed my hand and began pulling me up the stairs.

I looked back at Zayn who was giving me a weird look.

I will help you. No matter what.

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

Gahh this is horrible! I'm so sorry! :(

(I rewrote the ending so if you see this and you talk to others who also read this story tell them please. And I hope you like this ending.)

I give away random dedications to commenters :)

Please vote/comment/follow

-A