Chapter Thirty-Five

Ever had one of those days in which life pretty much sucks?

It all started when I woke up.

I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

The thing is that I had been dreaming, or more like having nightmares, about ugly hats, people whispering and Queens of hearts running after me.

It has been happening for the last three nights.

So, yeah...to say that today I was exhausted, could be a complete and total understatement.

When my stupid alarm sounded, I literally jumped out of bed and fell on the floor. So now I was not only tired, but my bottom hurt. Quite badly, I might add...

Rubbing my behind, I made my way to the kitchen to attempt to make some coffee. As it was, I managed to sit on one of the wooden chairs on the small squared table we had.

"Morning!" Kate chirped in as she walked through the kitchen door. I grumbled in response as I laid my head down on the table. I was too tired to even make coffee. Still in my cozy pajamas, I snuggled in my hoodie.

"Wow...someone is grumpy" she sarcastically added. I didn't even respond to that. Rolling my eyes seemed too much effort at the moment.

The smell of brewing coffee filled my nostrils and I smiled contented. Lifting my head I found my pretty blonde best friend leaning on the counter watching me amused. Kate was dressed smartly, with a pencil black skirt and a matching jacket. She looked truly business-like.

"Thank you for being concerned" I said nonchalantly. Kate rolled her eyes and flipped back her long hair. "To be honest Em, I think you are making a big thing out of nothing."

She turned away at the sound of the coffee machine and started to pour the brown fluid on two mugs. "I mean, the Queen didn't notice you, other than the time she glared at your head" she chuckled as she put some sugar on both coffees, "but nothing else happened." She placed the delicious brown liquid in front of me and my hands curled in the warm mug in less than a second. "You've been having completely useless nightmares that you shouldn't even have in the first place, because nothing happened." She took a seat next to me in our modern kitchen and placed a small glass bowl with some chocolate cookies in front of us.

"Thank you" I managed to mumble before grabbing one. "I know you're right, Kate...but I don't know, I kind of expected the Queen to talk or something...you know...anything..." I said before biting it.

Kate rolled her eyes, "well it's a good thing that the Queen wouldn't pay attention to you guys, doesn't it?" She grabbed one cookie for herself before adding, "It gives you more time before everything goes crazy for you guys."

My shoulders slumped as I asked, "do you thing that things will be bad?"

She shrugged after finishing her coffee, "I really don't know, Em...what I do know, is that you need to believe in yourself and pass through any test that might or not come." Getting up she added, "Anyway, I need to get going. Are you going to be ok for the next few days?" her blue eyes gazed at me concerned. Kate was going away for almost a week to Scotland on assignment.