Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Ouch!"

"What was that for?" My hand reached the back of my head where Hugh just slapped me.

"You're being stupid!" He glared at me.

"What are you talking about!"

"You're the one who's stupid!" I retorted.

"And you know what? Move off my bed, you are sleeping in the couch!!" I grabbed the cotton sheet and pulled it over me, turning away from my violent ex best-friend.

It was almost midnight. Kate had arrived two hours ago and we had ordered pizza and pretty much spent the night talking and making jokes. Well, everyone but me. I was still pretty put out from Sam's visit.

Ugh. I didn't know to be pissed or sad or what.

It was all confusing.

Anyway, I had convinced Hugh to stay the night here. He didn't need much convincing, though. We actually had some catching up to do and I'm sure he wanted all the details from the moment I spotted the creepy guy on the pub.

That seemed ages ago...

I shook my head as my thoughts came back to my room. For a second there, I thought about the stupid decision of turning my back to him. I knew he would be capable of anything. But before I turned over him, he was already throwing me the pillows I had given him. He wasn't being gentle.

"Ouch! Hugh! Stop it! Damn it!"

"You" he glared at me when I finally managed to get all the pillows on the other side of my bed and seated up scowling at him, "can't tell me what to do when you are being so stupid."

I rolled my eyes, "Ok. Enlighten me. How am I being stupid?"

He snorted "well that just proved my point!"

"Just spit it out." I said through clenched teeth.

"Did you not notice how Scott would look at you every two minutes?!" After taking a seat on the other side of the bed, he crossed his arms. "You were really out of it, Em!"

"I was not."

"Oh really? Then why did we have to repeat every question that was directed to you?"

"You did not!"

I winced as he shoved his palm stopping really close to my face. "Five times we asked you if pepperoni was all right!! FIVE TIMES!!"

Ok.

Maybe I was out of it.

Damn it.

Did Scott think that maybe I was shaken after Sam's visit? Because I clearly wasn't.

I mean...I was a little bit shaken...but not much...

Ugh.

Am I making any sense?!

The moment I laid eyes on him after all this time I realized that I didn't love him...maybe everything was infatuation or something like that. Or maybe I had been in love with the fact to be in love...it was somewhat confusing...

The scary part was that I was actually going to marry him...until he screwed up...or I found out...whatever...

...but what if what I felt for Scott was the same thing?

How could I be sure that...I...cared for him?

Couldn't I be star struck?!

"You are doing it again." Hugh rubbed one palm on his face completely defeated. He closed his eyes for a moment and then he opened them watching me "Care to share your thoughts?"