fifteen

jack and i would occasionally exchange glances. i grew bored of the lesson and started playing music through my headphones. no pressure to be exact. there's a tap on my desk, making me look up, but i already know who it is.

i remove a white earbud and raise an eyebrow at him. his lips turn into a small smile. that was unexpected.

"what'd i say about phones?" he whispers to me because students around us are working and he doesn't want to disturb them.

"can't you let it slide, mr. g?" i ask, slouching back in my seat.

"if you're willing to talk to me after class." he tells me.

i remove my headphones quickly, "okay, i'll put my phone away."

he groans and runs a hand down his face. i don't know why he's frustrated. clearly, he had someone else to distract him earlier today. why is he hung up on still trying to get with me. he's so bipolar. so am i, but he's worse than me.

"please, mercedes. let's talk after class." he pleads.

i roll my eyes, "why?"

"i need to ask you something. please." he practically begs and i shrug.

"as long as we're both at the practice on time."

he blinks as if registering my simple words, "you're going to the practice again?" he clenches his jaw.

i smile to myself, "yeah. i want to support max. be there for him and everything."

jack unexpectedly crouches down next to my desk and i sit up straighter. what is he doing? he gazes at my fingers which are on the desk before looking up into my eyes, whispering.

"what do you see in him?" he asks me and i'm stunned by his question.

"i'm afraid i can't answer that."

i swallow a lump that has formed in my throat. why do i feel so nervous and intimidated all of a sudden? he's had this affect on me before, surely, but i didn't think it would still affect me now. after i've seen how big his dick was.

jack tilts his head to the side slightly, his eyes glimmering with something i can't quite put my finger on. his tongue comes out of his mouth and swipes across his bottom lip, teasingly slow to moisten it. i can't help but stare.

"and why can't you answer that?" he probes, making me want to huff and roll my eyes like a child.

that's what i've been acting like lately around him, though. an adolescent.

i sigh, "we'll talk after class." i say.

after the last word, he stands up quickly, composing himself. he gives me a brief panty-dropping smile and then turns to go back at his desk. that's all he wanted? for me to agree on talking to him after class?

i slowly bring my phone back out and type away. max and i did in fact switch numbers, which i'm glad about. i sleekly look back up at jack who narrows his eyes at me and shakes his head. i give him a small smile, waving my phone up at him.

[max] are you coming today?

[mercedes] to practice? yes

[max] good :)

[max] can't wait to see you

here i am, sitting in class and smiling like an idiot at my cellular device.

*

"you wanted to talk?" i quietly say, approaching mr. gilinsky.

he nods, "yes."

i stand across his desk, leaning my hands on it. i look down at the wooden pattern of the mahogany desk and wait for him to speak up.

"i just need to ask you a few questions to clarify things." he tells me.

"okay." i drag out and start playing with the tape on his desk.

i pull the piece connected to the razor edge and make a long strand of tape. jack doesn't tell me to stop, so i continue to pull at it, forming a tape ball.

"look at me when i'm talking." he orders and i don't, but he should know that i'm listening. "mercedes, look at me." he repeats and i mentally groan, making eye contact with me.

"ask away." i say, throwing the ball lightly at him.

he blinks, picking it up from his lap. jack then tosses it into the trash can. well, he's no fun.

"i'm going to ask why you like max again." he bravely says and my breath catches in my throat. "why do you like him?"

"he's sweet and i don't know." i shrug. "i just do like him."

"i can be sweet too." he scoffs.

"wow, mr. gilinsky, jealous?" i tease and he rolls his eyes at me.

"i hope you know that he's slept with half of the cheerleaders." he sits up straighter.

okay and?

"i hope you know that happened freshman year. he's a junior now, get with it." i retort. "he's changed."

"has he really?" jack runs his right hand through his multi-shaded hair.

"yes and this is all backfiring on you. you were the one who said that we shouldn't have anything to do with each other." i emphasize and mock. "it's wrong."

"now i'm deeply regretting my words." he quietly mutters. "why don't you like me? i'm not a creepy age."

"i know, but you're kind of an ass." i reply and he looks taken aback.

"i am not an ass. i can show you what i'm like when i'm an ass." he pushes himself up from his chair and my eyebrows furrow.

"sit back down." i tell him. "is this all you wanted to talk about? why i like max and not you? how you can't stand seeing me with someone else. we didn't even have a past, so i don't know where this is all coming from. we just had sex." i finalize and his eyebrows raise.

"we can't talk about your sly reaction when you saw me and arielle?" jack asks.

"what reaction?" i cross my arms over my chest, but i blatantly remember being a tad bit jealous.

"you know what i'm talking about." he smirks like a jerk.

"i'm afraid i don't know what you're talking about." i innocently blink.

i walk around his desk, not breaking eye contact with him and his lips slightly part. i put my hand on his chest, sitting him down on his desk chair again. he brings both of his hands up to my hips, rubbing up and down.

i lean my face down and he brings his up, our lips a centimeter away. i can feel his warm breath fan my face. i pull away right before our lips touch and smirk at him.

"goodbye, mr. gilinsky." i say before swaying my hips and walking out of the door.

{vote, comment, share}