thirteen

saturday

"you ready?" i ask max, resting my hands on his padded chest.

"ready as i'll ever be." he grins down at me.

"are you nervous or anything?" i ask. "i know that i would be hella nervous if i were you."

he shakes his head and answers, "no, i'm just glad that coach gilinsky isn't making me sit on the bench the entire game." he chuckles.

i bit the inside of my cheek, "about that-"

"let's get going!" a voice shouts and max apologizes to me.

"i'll see you during halftime." he smiles before putting on his helmet and running out to the field with the team.

i was going to apologize for jack's annoying words yesterday, but why was i? he should be the one apologizing, but i know that he wouldn't apologize to max.

lately, he's been butting into my business and i have no idea why. it might be difficult for him to see me with max? which is not flattering because he had his chance with me, but instead was being all rude the other day.

"well, let's go." amaya tugs my arm.

*

we stand on the side of the field with everyone else that isn't playing the sport. when the buzzer goes off for halftime, the teams separate and go to their sides. i pick at my nails and a shadow covers me.

"you can sit down, you know?" max tells me, chuckling.

"i know, but i like standing." i lie.

i actually didn't know that i could've had a seat. these two hours pushed by slowly, too. he takes off his helmet and runs his hand through his hair. he then grabs a water bottle and practically chugs it.

"thirsty." i joke.

he winks at me, "you know it."

"usc is winning. you can't let them win." i say.

"we won't. just wait. they won't win." he hugs me around my shoulders.

"you're sweaty." i murmur into his jersey and he laughs.

he tells me that he needs to go to the bathroom and i let him to his thing. i observe everything around me and feel a presence beside me. i roll my eyes, already knowing who it is.

"mr. gilinsky, hi." i huff.

"i don't like that tone, mercedes." he teases me, but i'm not in the mood to deal with him.

"you don't like anything i do."

"that's not true." his lips turn up into a small smirk as i feel his hand creep onto mine, lacing our fingers together.

i gasp, tugging my hand away, "inappropriate."

"i know." he smiles. "when are we gonna talk again? i miss you."

"we're talking right now." i state.

"you know that's not what i mean."

"excuse me." i tell him. "you're being very annoying."

he just continues to smile at me, knowing its bother me so much. he's getting on my last nerve, but i would be lying if i said he didn't look hot at the moment. he's always attractive.

*

there's 2 seconds left in the game and there's really no point in paying attention anymore because the bruins are, in fact, winning. when the timer goes off, everyone on our side is screaming and jumping with joy.

amaya and i are just smiling like idiots, happy that we've won. it's not surprising, we win most of our games. it just a nice thing to experience. i've never been to a college football game until today.

the team jogs out of the field and amaya and i follow behind, not wanting to look like idiots standing on the sidelines alone. the stench is killing me, but i'm just trying to find max.

"hey." a voice says next to me and i look at the person.

"hey!" i exclaim, throwing my arms around max's neck. "good job."

"thank you, baby." he hugs me back and i don't care that he's sweaty.

his hands go to the back of my thighs, guiding my legs to wrap around his waist and i hug him tightly... and to think that i thought i didn't have a chance with max.

"will you go on a little date with me tonight?" he asks me, his head in the crook of my neck.

"of course, i will."

jack's pov

i clench my fists and my jaw as i see my mercedes wrap her legs around maxwell robinson's waist. i overheard him calling her baby too. i called her that first! i wish i could kick his ass off of the team, but it would come up as unjustified.

no one knows about me and mercedes having sex in the locker room that one day. i wish we could do it all over again. ever since i've heard about that one frat party and her being with max, jealously has just flooded over me like a tsunami.

"good job, guys." i feign an enthusiastic shout.

my blood is boiling and i just want him to put her down. no, actually, i don't want any of them near one another and now they're going on a date? maybe i should have asked her first.

that's probably what she wanted from me, but i can't give her what she really wants unless it's physical. i'm very closed off, but it might not be so bad actually being with her.

who am i kidding. it would be terrible. she's my student.

{vote, comment, share}