nine

music blares through the speakers of this crowded fraternity home and it's hot in here. currently dancing with max and i don't really care about what anyone thinks because right now, i'm so wasted.

what? just keep it on the hush
pocket full of trees, don't beat around the bush
walk on green, i can even hit a putt
k.o. shawty when i hit her with a punchline
hit a couple shots when it's crunch time
ducking from my ex like the one time

"are you having fun?" i hear a low voice as a pair of lips press against my ear.

i smile, turning around to face max, "i'm having an amazing time."

"that's good." he smiles. "do you need water or anything? i think you're a little too tipsy." he chuckles, holding me around my waist.

i nod my head, "let's go get some water!" i yell enthusiastically over the music, grabbing his hand.

we squish through the dancing college kids and it's way more packed than i anticipated. seems like i'm not the only one with a 'fuck school' attitude. he grabs me a water bottle from the refrigerator and i gladly take it.

"let's play twenty questions." he suggests out of nowhere, making me giggle.

"okay. you ask first." i yell over the music.

"favorite color?"

"is army green a color?" i snort, clearly out of it.

"yes, it is." he chuckles, leaning against the wall, watching me fiddle with my bottle cap. "favorite food?"

"anything with pasta."

"interesting. so you like italian food?" he asks and i nod my head vigorously.

"i practically eat it everyday."

he smiles at my answer and then continues on with the twenty questions game. which is making my head spin even more.

"favorite sport?"

"football." i say, wanting to impress him and it works.

he raises his eyebrows surprised, "good thing i play, huh? when and where did you have your first kiss?"

"eighth grade in the gymnasium during phy ed."

"favorite song?"

"the whole purpose album!" i thrust my hands up in happiness.

"we'll stop here because you might not be giving me sober answers." he playfully narrows his eyes.

"have you seen my friend? amaya?" i ask him.

"no, i've been with you the entire time. maybe she went upstairs with derek." max informs me.

"what could this possibly be doing?" my eyebrows bunch together.

"you and i both know, merc."

i instantly look up at him, "you called me by my nickname. no one has ever called me that besides my parents." i smile at him.

our little 'moment' is cut off when people barge into the kitchen to grab some more drinks. i hear birthday sex (SUCH A GOOD SONG I CRY) come on and i gasp, looking at max with wide eyes.

concern and worry washes over his face, "what?! do you want the song changed-"

"let's go!" i squeal, pulling his arm. "i love this song!"

"it's not even your birthday." he jokes, smirking, making me shake my head and smile.

i suddenly stop when i see females grinding on boys. dirtier than they did the other songs.

"you want to dance, like that?" max raises an eyebrow at me.

"you had to problem with it before." i simply respond.

"but this song is so... dirty." he sighs. "i don't want you to hate me when you're sober."

"come on, loser." i tug his arm, pulling him to the dance huddle.

i'm sure my lipstick is rubbed off by now and i look super unattractive, but i couldn't care less. i just want to have some fun.

*

as everyone starts to leave the party at around 2:30 am, max and i sit lazily on the couch. we're both tired from staying up this late and from all of that dancing we did together. i rest my head on his shoulder.

the house is a mess with plastic cups lying all over. i can't imagine ever picking up all of this trash. some people are knocked out on the couches, too.

"want me to walk you home?" he asks me, sparking up a conversation.

i slightly smile, "yes."

he helps me stand up and i feel like the alcohol is starting to wear off. i still need his help for balance. we both step out into the crisp and cool, californian winter air.

"it's so late." i yawn.

"i know and i wanted to make sure you got home safe."

"thank you for not making any moves on me tonight." i let out a breathy laugh. "most guys would take advantage."

"no problem. i don't want to pressure you into doing something you don't want to do."

"that's really sweet of you." i tell him.

max looks down at me as he shoves his left hand in his pocket. his right arm wraps loosely around my waist to balance me. we arrive at my complex shortly and i think i've got it from here.

i unexpectedly, for both of us, and sling my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. he wraps his muscular arms tightly around my waist and puts his face in the crook of my neck.

max chuckles when he realizes that i'm hugging him for too long. the vibrations radiate through my body. i don't want to let go. he smells good. even after a full night of dancing.

"thank you... i had so much fun." i say.

"stop thanking me." he murmurs into the crevice of my neck.

"i just want you to know that i'm thankful." i pull away, staring into his deep blue eyes.

"i already know you are." he whispers which makes me smile. "visit me at practice tomorrow?"

"maybe." i grin at him.

"goodnight, mercedes." he kisses my forehead.

"night, max." i wave him off.

seven hours at a party. what a night.

{vote, comment, share}